IGNORED

Rolling Stone magazine on computer audio

Did anyone else see the short write-up in the latest Rolling Stone magazine titled "Computer Audio Goes Hi-Fi"? The subtitle is "The age of the MP3 is over - how to get killer sound from the computer you already have." They make reference to ripping at CD quality or visiting HDTracks for hi-res downloads; suggest two mid-range USB DACs; and suggest Decibel or JRiver Media Center interface. Purists could argue endlessly about their recommendations but I think this shows real progress with the mass market and is great news for what we enjoy around here. Perhaps CD quality and even hi-res downloads from the likes of iTunes and Amazon aren't too far away.

Tim

"I think this shows real progress with the mass market and is great news for what we enjoy around here".

I couldn't agree more.

If articles in main stream magazines like RS encourages the average Joe to seek better sound quality then it will certiainly help shift the demand / supply equation in the right direction.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I haven't been back here in awhile. Chris runs a VERY tight ship, and I wish I had more time. I worked very hard to get that article going in Rolling Stone (in my capacity as director of marketing for Elite A/V Distro - the US distributor for HRT) - thanX to the recommendation of David Chesky! WE've already seen it pay dividends in terms of both sales AND awareness!! We've also managed to get coverage in other outlets outside of the typical audiophile fair (like NYTimes, USA TODAY, and, soon, GQ magazine) - and this is good for ALL of us - as, while I'm doing my job and promoting HRT - I'm doing my very best to promote computer audio - that is, getting the most out of your computer audio - and I ALWAYS give a shout out to Chris's site when I'm talking to these people. Let's expose the world to Great Sound together!! I'm hoping to get My. Connaker some goodies soon!!

It can only be good for music lovers if this catches on.

On a side note, I "friended" Jimmy Iovine on FaceBook, he accepted, I sent a note stating I thought it was great that he was pushing hi-res downloads and asked how we, the audiophile community, could help push the agenda...no response.

Perhaps you might have better luck Chris?

What I hope is that the "big guns" for all involved can learn from past mistakes and come together to agree on standards so that we don't run into compatibility issues that lead to it's demise.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Awareness in the mainstream (if there still is one) press is nothing but a positive for getting better sound to more folks.

I still say that the key to this becoming second nature to people that listen to music through computers, portable devices, etc. is for Apple to jump on board and MAKE it happen. With their marketing and unbelievable reach to the consumer it would suddenly become de facto practice for everyone to know and want higher resolution music.

Could it be that the hiring of Tomlinson is the start of that?

David