IGNORED

24 bits?

Hello,

I was wondering about a few cd's I have that said to be remastered in 24 bits. Does It means that they're just supposed to sound better or are they truly HiRez?

For example, I have the Decca's Legends Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé (Dutoit-Montréal) that is a 24/96 transfer yet It is on a cd so my guess is there is not enough space on a cd to have a true HiRez recording.

Any way to rip those to get higher resolution than with dbpowered?

Thanks!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

The CD standard is 16/44.1, period. The original recording may have been done in 24/96 or the original analogue tapes digitized to 24/96, but in either case the final mastered product has to be downsampled/dithered to 16/44.1 to comply with redbook (CD) standards.

You can of course upsample the tracks back to 24/96 when you rip the CD, and the sonic benefits of this are debatable, but it's no different from upsampling any other CD source. You wouldn't be regaining the original resolution.

"24 bit mastering" or even "DSD mastered at 24/352k" on a redbook (cd) is marketing BS and disingenuous at worst, confusing to the new music collector at best. A vast majority of the large label recordings on a cd are done at a higher digital sample rate, but it's edited and then released as 16 bit, so it means very little. Like saying the utmost care was used to restore a great film, yadayada, then releasing it on VHS tape (not comparing good redbook to VHS tape, just comparing doing high level work then dummying it down). Doesn't kinda matter at that point, but it's better than poor mastering AND 16/44.