IGNORED

What would you recommend for a good USB cable that doesn't break the bank?

Now that I have settled on a DAC, I need to get a decent USB cable to connect to it. I am considering the Locus Design Axis ($459), but is there anything else there that I should look at? I am setting $500 as my limit for this cable, so would appreciate suggestions at or below that price.

Keep in mind the Audiolab 8200CD accepts an asyncronous USB input already, so I am not looking for anything that converts from USB to SPDIF. I just want a very good sounding USB cable.

Custom Atom based music server running Windows 7 Professional OS>J.River Media Center 16>WASAPI Event Style>Mdht Labs Havana DAC>Wireworld Platinum Starlight .5 meter USB Cable>Atlas Navigator All-Cu Interconnects>Unison Research Unico Integrated Amp>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (two sets for bi-wiring)>Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v4 Speakers>Custom Oyaide Power Cables [br]

Asian Weiss rep recommends using Oyaide Neo d+ range firewire cables with their Weiss DAC202. I bought it and was really happy with it. So ordered the USB version as well. I have on hand several (Audioquest, Kimber, dB Audio Labs) and it is as good as any. About US$135 for its top line (class-s).

Mac Mini ? Weiss DAC202 ? ML 326s ? ML 532h ? Wilson Sophia3

I have spent a lot of time today reading the various posts about USB cables. From what I can tell, there is a difference between the various brands and models, but that that difference my be hard to detect unless you have a pretty nice setup (which is true for other cables too). Hopefully the rest of my system will be good enough to benefit from a decent cable.

I have narrowed things down to these three USB cables:

1) Wireworld Silver Starlight

2) Locus Design Axis

3) Ridge Street Poiema R-V3

Because of where I live it is pretty much impossible to audition anything beforehand.

I am now looking for feedback from people who have used/heard/owned one of these cables.

I want to thank everyone who has posted on this website regarding USB cables. The wealth of information here gave me a LOT to think about.

Custom Atom based music server running Windows 7 Professional OS>J.River Media Center 16>WASAPI Event Style>Mdht Labs Havana DAC>Wireworld Platinum Starlight .5 meter USB Cable>Atlas Navigator All-Cu Interconnects>Unison Research Unico Integrated Amp>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (two sets for bi-wiring)>Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v4 Speakers>Custom Oyaide Power Cables [br]

Guest Claude

Hi,

maybe you can give us details about the rest of your system? This might help those, who have experience with these 3 cables. Too bad I have not.

Good luck with your search and please report back on your findings.

Best

Claudius

I think I mentioned I had a theft a while ago. I am in rebuilding mode right now. I am using a new Windows 7 PC with J.River Media Center 15 feeding signal to my amp via Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E sound card with older Analysis Plus interconnects.

I recently purchased a modified Unison Research Unico integrated amplifier (Level 2 mod from Underwood Hi Fi). For now, it is feeding an old pair of Mirage speakers with a cheap run of Monster Cable. These speakers had been retired to garage duty at least ten years ago.

I have ordered an Audiolab 8200CD CD Player/DAC (one month wait for Canadian distributor to bring in being quite popular), and also have a set of Magnepan MG 1.7's on order (also a month or more away).

I am doing research on cables and interconnects, and will need to upgrade them a little at a time, as I only got $6000 from the insurance company.

The equipment I lost was a bit vintage, as audio is a hobby that I can't dabble in too much. I lost a set of Apogee Stage speakers, Jolida JD100A CD player (modified with Stage 1 mod + clock upgrade and cryogenic treated Siemens 5751 Triple Mica vac tube), YBA Integre amplifier, Magnum Dynalabs Etude FM tuner, and XLO Signature cables and interconnects. It cost a fair bit of money back in the day, but not valued too highly by my insurance company.

Anyway, I have challenged myself to make the most of my $6000 with the main components and a couple of cables. Over the next three months, I will get the rest of the cables/interconnects/power cords upgraded. BTW, did you ever try to argue with an insurance company about what a set of custom made power cords with top of the line Wattgate connectors is worth? Keep ALL of your receipts...

• 3 weeks later...

I initially tried a Transparent cable when I first got the M2Tech Evo. Very good, ready to buy. A friend of mine had both a Ridge Street cable, as well as DB Audio, so I borrowed both from him. Ridge Street was the equal (in my system) to the Transparent, despite the large price differential; I think he told me the Ridge Street was ~$600. The DB Audio cable was heads and shoulders above both. Purchased the DB Audio, and never looked back.

Word on the street is that Transparent is coming out with a high-performance USB this summer. I heard this from the cable expert at my dealer.

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Ridge Street and Transparent were the equal in my system (2009 Mac Mini into M2Tech Evo with Bolder power supply). Again, with an asynchronous interface on the Evo, I did not expect to hear any real differences when comparing the two. The DB Audio cable was the last USB I planned on 'listening to', given the lack of differences when trying the others (non-freebie, non-junk cables). If I had to describe the audible difference, it would be similar to comparing two analog interconnects, one with PE and the other Teflon. To my ears, clarity.

Clint

so had not yet been in the hi-end USB cable market (note: the firewire cable market is quite different, and most fw DACs do not seem to require or respond positively to anything above a decent $25 GoldX cable, the Oyaide notwithsatnding in a few examples, but not my pref on the Weiss). Anyway.....now owning the Antelope Gold USB DAC, and knowing that the USB cable differences are more like the SPDIF and analog cable markets I recently called Joe at Cable Company and had him ship me a couple of Wireworld USB cables, the Starlight ($99) and the Platinum Starlight ($600)....I was told the one in between them, the Silver Starlight ($400) did not have the same cost-performance. I'd been using a decent $50 Wireworld Ultraviolet that Gordon gave me when I bought his Macbook SSD server a couple years ago, but in the face of the better WW cables it sounds lifeless and veiled.

The Starlight is a significant jump in detail, quiet backgrounds and top end control, but it seems a little lax in bass extension. The more expensive Platinum is very very good, the best one I've heard to date (damn it) and is in the system right now. Cable Co owes me two more, coming on Tussday...the Cardas Clear ($115) and the Audioquest Diamond ($550)....at the recommendation of several folks here, including Dr. Steve/Lars/Mercman. I'll report back.

Another I'd love to demo but is becoming difficult to find (since they have no US distribution right now) is the Acoustic Revive SP model that splits the power and signal legs at the source (means you need to take up two USB slots on your computer)...Jeff Day and a few others are gaga over it. Also, Franck Thchang, my cable mentor (his ASI Liveline interconnects and speaker cables are amazing) is getting ready to announce a USB cables, but it'll be $800-1k! Yikes.