IGNORED

Let's open another can of worms — are music streaming services providing genuinely lossless audio?

On 3/8/2024 at 5:14 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

I'm not surprised if they alter original PCM data to add audio watermark on PCM stream to track down which user illegally redistribute it to pirate sites

The major labels used to, and it was audible. I don't know what caused them to change it, but probably that TIDAL and Qobuz couldn't advertise their music as lossless if the originals had been altered.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:16 AM, Norton said:

But is that a hard definition, and if so , whose?  And indeed what do we mean by a Master recording and the implied provenance, if  there can be multiple masters?   For example, if a 70s analogue  recording is transferred by the record company to 24/96 and then distributed as RBCD as a “remaster” and I then make a bit perfect rip of that CD, can I be said to have a lossless copy of the original analogue master?  I’d suggest not and that, far from a hard definition, lossless is just a meaningless  marketing term 

I probably should have specifically said the digital original in my definition, but it was assumed. Indeed though, analog-to-digital conversion is a major issue. For example, Miles Davis' Kind of Blue was transferred poorly (the timing was wrong, for a start!) and this plagued all the digital masters until HDTracks managed to get hold of the original tapes and do a new transfer.