IGNORED

JRiver goes Subscription - sort of

"MC27 & older MUST be upgraded to access JRiver servers" ....Okay, sure, not "subscription" unless regularly repeated and yes, only features that require server access won't work.

I wonder how many find this just a little bit on the nose, or not?

After about 10 years of yearly upgrading I just stopped at MC27. I upgraded previously to support the team but to be honest it just became a nuisance (for multiple devices) and the changes I desired didn't eventuate (it is not important what I wanted, I get that not all wishes can be granted).

Sound Minds Mind Sound

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The current version is v32. If people are five or more versions behind that, AND they need to access JRiver servers, they can shell out around $30 for the upgrade. That’s peanuts. 

So you should be expected to upgrade every 5 years to maintain full functionality of what you already paid for?

Does this mean a vendor can just unilaterally decide to charge extra for the same ongoing functionality whenever they want to?

$30 may not be "peanuts" to some and there is also a principle here.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Im not sure the company does this every five years or that many vendors in HiFi, “unilaterally decide to charge extra for the same ongoing functionality whenever they want to.” You can complain about this straw man all you wish, but you likely have better things to do. 

My guess is it comes down to either maintaining support for versions older than 5 version back or continuing to improve the newest versions. At some point the old stuff will stop working or we can’t make progress because companies would spend all their time on making old stuff work on new operating systems and hardware. 

If $6 per year ($30 upgrade after 5 years)for an app is too much, one has much bigger fish to fry. I also doubt the software license says it will work in perpetuity, just like the day it was purchased. 

I played with the title but subsequently explained the facts that I am aware of, so there is no straw man here as I am not misrepresenting or replacing an argument in order to refute it

It depends on what you mean by "maintaining support" for old versions eg if MC27 doesn't work in windows 11 then it is reasonable to expect to pay for that support and which is out of their control..

This OTOH appears to be punitively restricting access to their servers by their choice if you don't upgrade. As I understand it for example no longer being able to download cover art or tags etc. These servers are running anyway (I presume) for the current version so it's a matter of denying access to something that already exists in order to recruit a further cash injection from many people (how many?). If their servers have been upgraded and no longer work with older MC versions then there would be at least some justification

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

EXACTLY! (the quoted part). That is why Apple and MS only support 1 or 2 versions. It takes too much manpower.

Just because someone else does it doesn't make it right in my view but at least you know with Microsoft that is their business model for whatever reasons. Also, not continuing active support is different to actively denying access to a resource that already exists.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Can you please provide specifics

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You want me to ask JRiver specifically how much it costs them to operate a server so their customers can download cover art and tags?  Seriously?

48 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I wonder how carefully you read your license agreement.

You invoke the license agreement. I presume you have something to share

Sound Minds Mind Sound

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ok, what if JRiver said it cost ten cents to upgrade. You stilling going to make a mountain out of a molehill?

As, said it's not for me about how much. Principles still apply.

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Sure, some people can’t afford ten cents. But, letting the tail wag the dog is unreasonable. 

making extreme unrealistic examples may be more unreasonable

Sound Minds Mind Sound

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No worries. One has to pick battles in life and decide what’s going to tick them off. This situation doesn’t even come close in my book. 

No worries, i do completely agree that picking one's battles in life is important but I am in no battle with JRiver or anyone else. OTOH pointing out what I consider to be morally questionable behavior in a vendor is always worthwhile in my book.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 2/18/2024 at 7:56 PM, church_mouse said:

The principle - IF JRiver is switching off access to a service for no reason other than the owner of the software licence subsequently has not bought anything else (an update) from them, how can that be morally right? If the principle is morally right, then the amount is irrelevant and charging $6 per month or per week would also fit the principle.

This captures my feeling about it

Sound Minds Mind Sound