IGNORED

DAC with built in Airplay?

I have a fairly high end music system which includes KEF speakers and a Marantz Integrated Amp. I tend to listen to my music using Apple Lossless files on my MAC in iTunes via either the Airport Express or Squeezebox2 devices.

I am thinking of trying to improve things by purchasing a DAC such as DAC Magic.

Several questions:

1. whether to go for it now or whether it is likely that there will soon be new versions of DAC's which will have built in airplay capability?

2. ,do you think I will notice the difference in sound in adding a DAC?

thanks

larry

Larry

I don't think there will be any DACs with AirPlay Built in. However there will be more streamers coming along with AirPlay.

The only example I know currently is the Marantz NR7004. This combines a UPnP streamer with SPDIF inputs and a AirPlay "client".

The other option is a Micromega device which is a dedicated AirPlay client.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

1) There very well could be some dacs coming along this year that will have Airplay included in their feature set. Most of them will have the same type of capabilities that you already enjoy with your AE and SB so you might be duplicating some things if you end up keeping both of those pieces.

2) The Squeezebox has pretty decent analog output but can be improved with an external dac. I would listen to a few options to see where the improvements kick in with one.

David

There are quiet a few new receivers with airplay eg Some of the new Denon's and the Marantz sr7005 (and it's sister preamp equivalent)

The one I'm hanging out for is the new Classe... haven't heard much about that recently..what's happened to it?

I guess all these aren't DAC's per say...but they contain "DAC's" :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I don't really need a new Amp or pre-amp ... I am quite happy with my Marantz Integrated Amp. But it does not have a built in DAC so what I would like is a DAC with built in high end streaming (airplay?) capabilities.

Or, ideally, an audiophile quality Airport Express.

Larry

As I said above: Marantz NR7004 or Micromega Airstream

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As Eloise said, the Marantz NA7004 is a very wise move and as future proof as they come. Network capability is the thing to have. You could attach a NAS in another room and don't even use the computer. Airplay is simply like the device has it's own AE built in. It's good, but I think (not sure) the format is more limited (would be surprised if Airplay is 24bit capable, correct me if I am wrong). You seem to want more than AE/Airplay is capable to do. So, you need network or to hook up the computer straight to the DAC.

If you think about the DacMagic, why not get the Emotiva XDA-1? It's cheaper (Spring sale now $299) and does more. And it's full rack width, not half. No network.

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

Note to Emotiva: I will provide my details, so you can forward me the reward for the add...

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

• 3 months later...

......by doing one, or both of these things:

A. Get a DAC with very good jitter suppression. One DAC that seems have developed a good reputation is the Anedio D1 DAC. Generally, good jitter suppressing DACs go for $1000 and up.

B. Get a a budget DAC and add a jitter buster between the DAC and airport express. Jitter devices with optical inputs are less and less common now, but you can still get a new Monarchy DIP or Empirical Audio Pace Car. If you look into used, there is the Genesis Digital Lens or Theta TLC.

I went with route B and mated a Theta TLC to my Matrix Mini I DAC. The improvement was significant. Easily the best upgrade I made to my system.

Keep in mind that the Airport Express is only 16/44.1 only, but it can deliver the bits perfectly to any outboard DAC. If you want higher res, you need to look elsewhere.

CD