IGNORED

Why Use USB -S/PDIF Converters?

There are a number of these bridges/converters out in the market from Halide, Music Fidelity and even from the manufacturer of my DAC, Bel Canto.

I don’t think I really understand the reasoning and need for these type of devices. Is it simply to allow someone who only has a USB output on their computer to be able to output digital coax or toslink to a device that does not have USB inputs? Is it about jitter, timing issues?

Currently, as shown below, I output from my Mac Mini via USB to the USB input on a Bel Canto DAC1.5. When and why would I decide to use this type of device in my system?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

are those who have no high quality USB inputs on their DACs, and want to connect to a computer for the highest quality sound. So even if you have a DAC with a USB input it may well be limited to 16/44 or be implemented before there was higher quality asynchronous USB inputs. For example, if you want to play anything higher than 96k on your Bel Canto DAC (and it resides on a computer) then you need a converter that is capable of USB-to-SPDIF (or AEs) up to 24/192k.

Well some DAC's don't have a USB input so thats a pretty obvious reason. But beyond that the very best USB converters like the John Kenny battery powered Hi Face are better than the the USB input of any DAC I have tried it with. Jitter is one reason - RFI interference travelling down the USB cable is another and probably other reasons as well. The exact reasons why are not generally known - the companies that have researched this are not about to let their trade secrets out. But that is of no import - simply listen and make up your own mind.

Thanks

Bill

"the companies that have researched this are not about to let their trade secrets out”

What possible reason would any company who is marketing a product have to not make know their advantage of a feature that gives them an advantage over a competitor?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa