A Star Is Born.

TBS-h574TX | Make your creativity bloom with the lightning-fast Thunderbolt™ 4 All-Flash NASbook | QNAP (US)

In my last step to finally finishing my new room and stereo, I just received my TBS-h574TX-i5-16G.  This is an extremely powerful NAS with a very small footprint with a built in Intel Core computer fast enough to run ROON on the NAS, which QNAP supports very well. 

I ordered just one (at this time) Micron 7450 Pro Series 7.68 TB E1.S drive, a new “type” of SSD, with many advantages over M.2 NVMe. The drive bays can take either type of drive and with the removal of 2 screws easily takes the E1.S type drive removing the M.2 adapter.

The benefits of the E1.S are they are better for hot swapping, better at heat dissipation, have longer time to failure and are faster.

There are RJ45 network jacks for both 2.5 and 10GBs AS WELL as dual Thunderbolt inputs for very fast speeds.

The built in computer is fast enough to run ROON, unlike my current go to NAS, the fanless TS-i410x.  I don’t run HQP so can’t comment on that. While the TS-i410x is a great NAS, which I will use for redundancy of my NAS at my two homes, it is not as good as this new TBS-h574TX and has only 4 bays, compared to the TBS which has 5, and doesn’t use NVMe technology.

While there are 2 fans for cooling, they are totally silent.

The TBS allows one to use either QTS or QTS Hero. At $1,450 retail this is a “deal” compared to other all flash alternatives. Of course, IF you choose to buy either M.2 or E1.S at 7.68 TB capacity, it quickly adds up as these drives are NOT cheap; in either variety and why I am choosing the newer E1.S.  I need the storage for other reasons, but these drives are expensive.

Of course, the dual Thunderbolt ports, should one have a need for super-fast transfers, such as video editing is a huge plus.  I am very impressed. 

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nice! I’m always looking for a better NAS. 

Really a groundbreaking product. 

Tough at this point at least, to find them in stock, but an incredible product. 

I only ordered just one drive in order to test the unit for fan noise, ability, etc. but have now ordered another four 7.68 TB E1.S.  With the 5 drives with a Raid 5, it will give me 25Tb of storage, with 3TB for overprovisioning and 8 for data protection. 

Also, with a 15mm E1.S drive, they have huge heat sinks already built into this industrial drive, which "should" provide much better heat dissipation. 

13 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Really a groundbreaking product. 

Tough at this point at least, to find them in stock, but an incredible product. 

I only ordered just one drive in order to test the unit for fan noise, ability, etc. but have now ordered another four 7.68 TB E1.S.  With the 5 drives with a Raid 5, it will give me 25Tb of storage, with 3TB for overprovisioning and 8 for data protection. 

Also, with a 15mm E1.S drive, they have huge heat sinks already built into this industrial drive, which "should" provide much better heat dissipation. 

Which drives did you get?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png