IGNORED

High-Resolution Jazz Recommendations

I have lots of jazz but very little Hi Rez stuff.. But one I do have is Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert in 24/96. It really is a whole new experience. I do have other HR in jazz and other genre that I wouldn't recommend and some that I prefer the 16/44.1 version over the HR, but the koln concert is an MH. (must have).

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

I would be interested in the HR in jazz you have that you wouldn't recommend, and the ones you have that you prefer in 16/44.1.

I have these in HR and have enjoyed all of them:

McCoy Tyner - New York Reunion

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert

John Hassel - Fascinoma

John Coltrane - Ballads; A Love Supreme

Charles Lloyd Quartet - Mirror

Al Di Meola - Flesh on Flesh

(I have most of the above also ripped lossless from the CDs - when I get time I am going to try to compare them - partly to see if I am enjoying the HR that much more to justify the cost of buying/rebuying. I suspect that I will not be able to tell much difference given my current setup, using powered speakers.)

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Your taste in music is similar to mine judging from your list. I don't normally give negative opinions on forums cuz everyones opinion is different and I don't "normally" enjoy stirring up controversy. But to me the hi Rez version I have of Ballads and Coltrane Plays the Blues sounded more on the dead side lacking some of the energy that is on my cd flac rip. The stereo image seemed to be more artificial with sax on one side and bass and drums on the other. The Koln Concert though was so much more revealing and involving I couldn't read while listening to it.

I'm not up on stereo equipment after 20 years of trying to assemble a system I liked from different high end components I took the easy way out and bought all Linn knowing it was all excellent quality and pretty much guaranteed to sound good together. I know I don't have the absolute best (who does?) but after spending $30,000 plus over the years on systems I was never completely happy with I feel pretty content with what I have... Except I do want to improve the DAC.

I think your right thinking about improving your speakers. I bet that would do a lot for all your music. Any way gotta go my bacon and eggs are ready. All the best.

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

I need to do some critical listening to compare between my ripped versions and the downloaded HRs - the best way short term is to get a headphone amp into the equation (I do most of my listening at my desk while working).

I did have the impression that the Coltrane ballads seemed kind of "soft" but that's one I don't have the ripped version of.

And, like you, I thought the Jarrett HR really stood out. I kept playing it over and over until my wife stuck her head in the door and asked for a little variety.

I can now recommend Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (HDTracks). Very tasty.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer