IGNORED

Shanling ET3 CD Transport

Received my Shanling ET3 cd transport yesterday - so I haven't had more than 24 hours of break-in but in general this is a good sounding CD transport. I do have personal experience with 3 other CD Transports, including the Jay's Audio CDT2-MK3, Audiolab and Cambridge Audio. And I find this little "player" to be pretty competent  and nice to use.

Compared to the Jay's Audio they are fairly similar, with the Shanling being a bit darker sounding overall. Not DARK but just not as bright as the CDT2-MK3.

My initial impression is that it's sonic signature is similar to the Audiolab 6000CDT. But I like the top loading CD mechanism vastly better than the CD Slot loading Audiolab. The price is pretty right too. The 6000CDT ($599) is priced fairly close to the ET3 ($729). Close enough to be added to your list if you're thinking of adding a CD Transport.

IMG_4878.jpg

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

On 1/4/2024 at 4:27 PM, creativepart said:

Received my Shanling ET3 cd transport yesterday - so I haven't had more than 24 hours of break-in but in general this is a good sounding CD transport. I do have personal experience with 3 other CD Transports, including the Jay's Audio CDT2-MK3, Audiolab and Cambridge Audio. And I find this little "player" to be pretty competent  and nice to use.

Compared to the Jay's Audio they are fairly similar, with the Shanling being a bit darker sounding overall. Not DARK but just not as bright as the CDT2-MK3.

My initial impression is that it's sonic signature is similar to the Audiolab 6000CDT. But I like the top loading CD mechanism vastly better than the CD Slot loading Audiolab. The price is pretty right too. The 6000CDT ($599) is priced fairly close to the ET3 ($729). Close enough to be added to your list if you're thinking of adding a CD Transport.

IMG_4878.jpg

What changes did you notice during/after break in?

Also, since your post was last week, do you have more than 24 hours on it and has it changed further?

1 hour ago, garrardguy60 said:

What changes did you notice during/after break in?

Also, since your post was last week, do you have more than 24 hours on it and has it changed further?

Yes, probably another 30 or more hours on it... listening, not just playing.

The main difference I hear now is that initially the bass was a bit bloated and now it sounds more evenly balanced. I will also say that the Jay's exhibited pretty much the same behavior upon receipt.

I'm connecting via Coax S/PDIF to my Hugo TT2 DAC. I did try out the Optical S/PDIF for a very short 30 mins or so and my initial impression was that it had more soundstage depth and width with the Coax. But as I said it was short. I plan to test out the USB output, too. But I'm heading out for a month in our RV at the end of this week. So, I doubt I'll get to it this week.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 3:27 PM, creativepart said:

IMG_4878.jpg

I just got one today.  I probably haven't had a CD transport in my system for more than an hour over the past decade or so.

It sounds great!  I'm using its I2S output, but I'll probably try other outputs in the coming week. 

The Shanling is also MQA capable - Not something I really care about. Not a fan.

However, I found that a new album I've favorited on Qobuz had an MQA CD for sale on Amazon for less than $20 so I decided to give it a try.

And yes, it works. Sounds fine. Better that the Qobuz streaming? I've not compared them. But the ET3 is playing this CD at 88.2/24-bit. Quite a feat for a CD. I don't buy many new, new CDs but it's a unique thing to play a CD at double the Red Book resolution.

What do you think?

IMG_4914.jpg

13 hours ago, creativepart said:

Quite a feat for a CD. I don't buy many new, new CDs but it's a unique thing to play a CD at double the Red Book resolution.

What do you think?

Like advertised by manufacturer, it can play any CD at x16 RB rate and up to DSD512 on USB/I2S out. 

I wonder if it really can? Have you tried it? 

I ordered ET3 and look forward to try higher rate outputs out of it... 

I've tested the upsampling feature on a few CDs, it worked fine. My DAC (Chord Hugo TT2) doesn't really do DSD. It will take DSD in as PCM (DoP) and then down sample it to 768. So, I've not tried DSD upsampling from the Shanling.

I don't have an opinion on the SQ improvement or lack of same with upsampling on the Shanling. If I'm going to play redbook CDs, then I want them to play at redbook resolution. MQA CDs are sort of but not really redbook so I was happy to test this one CD out. But I doubt I'll make it a regular occurrence.

When streaming, I use HQ Player to upsample streaming files to 705.6/758 and I'm happy enough with that. Though I doubt there is much benefit over 192hz. Heck, I"m 74 and in audio tests I wash out around 11k.

"I've just read elsewhere that there's no upsampling on the USB Out of ET3... "

I'm not sure of that. Where did you find this claim?

43 minutes ago, creativepart said:

I'm not sure of that. Where did you find this claim?

UPDATE -- you are correct when playing from CD. I'm not sure about when playing from the Bluetooth streamer or the USB Drive input via the USB Audio output.

I just reconfirmed - I can upsample CD playback to 192hz via S/PDIF Coax or Optical. But not USB.

Because I've never tried playing any files via the USB Drive I can only go via the menu and very limited manual. There are upsampling menu options  from 192 to DSD512 on the menu. They must be for USB Drive playback via USB Audio output or there would be no need for them to exist because S/PDIF is limited to no more than 192hz.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 4:18 PM, skipspence said:

I've just read elsewhere that there's no upsampling on the USB Out of ET3... 

Since I was mainly interested in USB and DSD I canceled my order😊

This is so. I was running the ET3 with a glass Optical cable and seeing 192K. But today tried a decent USB cable and no matter the upsampling setting in the unit it just outputs CDs at 44.1. Seems odd.

I'm still enjoying the Shanling ET-3 BUT... I'm a bit disappointed in the USB output options. In S/PDIF coax or optical you can use the transport's upsampling to 192hz. With I2S you can upsample to 768hz or even DSD512. But with USB, upsampling is not available at all.

I contacted Shanling and they quickly got back to me and said it was a hardware limitation and that it would not be "fixed" in firmware later, because it can't be.

Now, that's not a deal killer. I got it to play CDs at 441.hz. But I do like the upsampling as it adds a bit of air and softness to sometimes harsh sounding CDs.

But be aware, if you're planning on using the USB output, upsampling is off the table.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Shanling ET3 transport on last Friday and hooked up with my Denafrips Venus 12th via I2S cable with upsampling setting to DSD512.  I noticed the wider and bigger sound stage then my Oppo 105D and Technics SL-G700 CD play back.  The vocal also seems to be a little bit more natural.  Currently I played it for about 14-15 hours so may be another week or 2 will see if this transport will get better.  Right now it is also better than the coaxial output from the OPPO and Technics.

Right now I still try to figure out how to get it set up for USB drive input and link up with Shanling Eddict Player APP.  Shanling user interface of the transport and APP level are certainly not as easy as OPPO.