IGNORED

Trouble getting started with HQPlayer

ohshitgorillas

Question

I've been HQPlayer-curious for a while and I have recently tried implementing HQPlayer Embedded in two methods: one, on my Ubuntu Server-based media server, and two, on my Allo USBridge Sig.

As for the USBridge, I downloaded the official image from the website (hqplayer-embedded-5.2.0-raspberrypi4-holored) but whenever I load it on a flash card and start the device up, the ACT light blinks for a second and then goes dark and the thing never comes online. I've tried re-re-re-flashing, I've tried using both Rufus and the Raspberry Pi Imager. Nothing seems to work. This is my preferred solution. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

For the media server, I have hqplayerd successfully installed after a short dependencies battle (I'm on 23.04, not 22) but I'm not sure where to go from here. The settings file is overwhelming and I can't find the readme file referenced. What I want is to use the phone app to control the media server and upsampling, which passes the upsampled audio along to the moode-based USBridge and Pi2AES (but not at the same time). I'm not sure if this is "NAA" mode.

I'd be happy if I could get either one working but I'd really prefer the simpler approach of having it running directly on the RPi, since my DAC only supports up to 24/192 and the Pi is more than capable of doing that.

HQPlayer PC: Ubuntu Server 23.04, Intel i5-10600KF, Nvidia GTX1660 Ti, 2.5 TB NVMe + 6 TB HDD

Speakers: USBridge Signature (NAA) > Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Schiit Saga OG > Schiit Aegir > Tekton Lore

Headphones: Pi2AES (NAA) > Gustard R26 > Schiit Jotunheim 2 > ZMF Atticus LTD Cocobolo

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yeah, that would make sense. Which image should I try instead? That was the only "raspberrypi" image so I went for it, but I wasn't aware of the Holo Red.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I haven't tried a Pi HQP server in forever, so I don't really know. Looks like the USBridge isn't listed on @Miska's site - https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html?

I've contacted Allo to figure out if the USBridge Sig is supported or not.

In the meantime, I could try to get hqplayerd working on my overpowered headless media server. I've downloaded the HQPDcontrol app, but it can't find the server. What ports does it use for discovery?

HQPlayer PC: Ubuntu Server 23.04, Intel i5-10600KF, Nvidia GTX1660 Ti, 2.5 TB NVMe + 6 TB HDD

Speakers: USBridge Signature (NAA) > Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Schiit Saga OG > Schiit Aegir > Tekton Lore

Headphones: Pi2AES (NAA) > Gustard R26 > Schiit Jotunheim 2 > ZMF Atticus LTD Cocobolo

10 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

I've contacted Allo to figure out if the USBridge Sig is supported or not.

The company won't respond. 

10 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

In the meantime, I could try to get hqplayerd working on my overpowered headless media server. I've downloaded the HQPDcontrol app, but it can't find the server. What ports does it use for discovery?

If you have HQPlayer running, just add the IP address of the machine on which it's running, into the HQPDcontrol app and it will find it. The auto discovery doesn't work, as far as I know.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Unfortunately, it's still not working... I did input the server IP and opened the default port of 4321 on the server's firewall but HQPDcontrol can't find anything.

Edit: the port is also unblocked in the router's LAN zone

4 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

Unfortunately, it's still not working... I did input the server IP and opened the default port of 4321 on the server's firewall but HQPDcontrol can't find anything.

Edit: the port is also unblocked in the router's LAN zone

Does the HQPlayer remote control app, that comes with HQP desktop, see your install? You can download it and just run the control app.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Does the HQPlayer remote control app, that comes with HQP desktop, see your install? You can download it and just run the control app.

I'm a bit confused now. I'm not using HQP Desktop, I'm using hqplayerd on a headless media server. The HQPDcontrol app doesn't see the hqplayerd installation on the media server.

Just now, ohshitgorillas said:

I'm a bit confused now. I'm not using HQP Desktop, I'm using hqplayerd on a headless media server. The HQPDcontrol app doesn't see the hqplayerd installation on the media server.

there's an HQPDcontrol app for iOS and there's a native HQPlayer control app that is in the install image for mac and can be installed for Windows. 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

there's an HQPDcontrol app for iOS and there's a native HQPlayer control app that is in the install image for mac and can be installed for Windows. 

I am using the HQPDcontrol app on my Android phone, but it doesn't work on my iPhone either. I'm having a hard time finding a link to download the Windows control app.

Edit: I'm on Linux (Pop!_OS) anyway, I don't suppose there's a .deb for the control app?

I am using the HQPDcontrol app on my Android phone, but it doesn't work on my iPhone either. I'm having a hard time finding a link to download the Windows control app.

the windows control app is inside the installation file for the desktp app, you just need to select it to install or install eveyrthing and only run the control app.

As I said, I'm running Linux, but I just installed HQPlayer Dekstop and I can't find any features related to remote control. Let me switch to Windows and try there.

Thanks, I found the client. I assume the client won't connect either, but I have no idea where I'm even supposed to tell it where to look. I assume the drop down menu in the top left which reads "localhost" but nothing happens when I enter 10.0.0.238 into the box either.

I assume the client won't connect either, but I have no idea where I'm even supposed to tell it where to look. I assume the drop down menu in the top left which reads "localhost" but nothing happens when I enter 10.0.0.238 into the box either.

Yeah, entering the Ip and hitting enter is all you need to do if I remember correctly. 

Can you access the embedded install via web interface on port 8888 or without a port? 

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yeah, entering the Ip and hitting enter is all you need to do if I remember correctly. 

Can you access the embedded install via web interface on port 8888 or without a port? 

I believe it's 8088 as 'netstat -tnlp | grep hqplayerd' yields:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8088            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      814546/hqplayerd
tcp6       0      0 :::8088                 :::*                    LISTEN      814546/hqplayerd

But no, I cannot access that web interface at 10.0.0.238:8088 or at 10.0.0.238.

1 minute ago, ohshitgorillas said:

I believe it's 8088 as 'netstat -tnlp | grep hqplayerd' yields:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8088            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      814546/hqplayerd
tcp6       0      0 :::8088                 :::*                    LISTEN      814546/hqplayerd

But no, I cannot access that web interface at 10.0.0.238:8088 or at 10.0.0.238.

You're sure embedded is actually running? 

Actually, yes, I am able to find the web interface now!

I can't log in with the default "hqplayer" username and "password" password, but at least it's showing a damn login page. That's progress.

3 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

Actually, yes, I am able to find the web interface now!

I can't log in with the default "hqplayer" username and "password" password, but at least it's showing a damn login page. That's progress.

Can always reset the password - "hqplayerd -s username password"

That worked! I'm in.

Now there are two more things that I need help with, at least, if you don't mind:

1. Add the library. This is located in /home/atom/Dropbox/music, and is bind mounted to /srv/media/music as well, but when I type either of these into the library path, I get nothing.

2. How do I stream the output to my USBridge running MoOde?

6 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

2. How do I stream the output to my USBridge running MoOde?

I don't believe MoOde supports NAA, which is what HQP sends to over the network. 

6 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

1. Add the library. This is located in /home/atom/Dropbox/music, and is bind mounted to /srv/media/music as well, but when I type either of these into the library path, I get nothing.

Did you check the log? what file format are you using?

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't believe MoOde supports NAA, which is what HQP sends to over the network. 

Did you check the log? what file format are you using?

So I need to install HQPlayer NAA on the USBridge? Or are there other alternatives as well?

My files are mostly FLAC, with a few dsf/dff and ALAC files thrown in. The log doesn't say anything about it. I just made sure that the whole /srv/media server is readable by all users. It can scan other folders as well (e.g. if I have it scan /srv, it comes up with a single media file) but for some reason it's not finding my music.

Thank you for all your help so far, by the way.

3 minutes ago, ohshitgorillas said:

So I need to install HQPlayer NAA on the USBridge? Or are there other alternatives as well?

My files are mostly FLAC, with a few dsf/dff and ALAC files thrown in. The log doesn't say anything about it. I just made sure that the whole /srv/media server is readable by all users. It can scan other folders as well (e.g. if I have it scan /srv, it comes up with a single media file) but for some reason it's not finding my music.

Thank you for all your help so far, by the way.

HQP sends to NAA over the network. That’s it. If you have a Pi, you can install the NAA pi image and it’ll be simple. Boot from USB or mSD card. 

ALAC won’t work. FLAC and DSD will. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

HQP sends to NAA over the network. That’s it. If you have a Pi, you can install the NAA pi image and it’ll be simple. Boot from USB or mSD card. 

ALAC won’t work. FLAC and DSD will. 

The NAA part is simple enough but why isn't it finding my FLAC files? 98% of my music is in FLAC, it should show up. I can convert the remaining ALAC files to FLAC if I decide that I like HQPlayer enough