IGNORED

Why does the soundstage sound different (often better IMHO) in high rate DSD like DSD256 Vs native Redbook to a DAC with a Chip that upsamples to ultimately do SDM conversion.

9 hours ago, STC said:

5) The question is - How higher or lower resolution would alter that. 

It is both time difference and level difference. Plus you have a very complex waveforms with lot of harmonics.

As the analog output signal becomes more precise, it becomes easier to distinguish the different harmonics and their timing differences.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

Pre-echo or post-echo from bandpass ripple is not the same as ringing. I am not referring to ringing. Ringing is from the brick wall filter or boxcar effect or Gibbs phenomenon. I refer actually to the distinct echo from the ripples in the frequency domain of the passband.

Those are effect of Gibbs phenomenon (step- or impulse response). In HQPlayer you have number of filters as both linear- and minimum-phase variants where you can compare the effect. These are otherwise exactly the same, but minimum-phase filter has no pre-echo, just post-echo. Same pass-band ripple.

You are talking about pass-band ripple which is a separate parameter, just like stop-band attenuation and transition band width. Plus of course gazillion of other parameters. Pass-band ripple is just frequency response variation and doesn't cause any "echo".

2 minutes ago, STC said:

For ILD and ITD, the brain expects a set of response to match what the other ear heard for localization. The experiment is easily conducted to be prove the point.  Pick or make a DSD recording with an object about 20 degrees off center. Perhaps a speech. Split the left and right channel. Down sample just one channel to 44.1 khz. Introduce a little noise that is said to be produced by the lower sampling rate. Now mix the lower sampling rate to the other untouched DSD channel. So you have one channel of 44.1 and the other a pristine DSD.  The 44.1 need to converted to DSD. Now let’s listen and see if the image changes position.

That doesn't have same effect as running DAC at lower sampling rate...

If you like, you can simulate the DAC errors in digital domain for one channel. But you need to do that at over 10 MHz sampling rates.

Just now, Shadorne said:

According to Julian Dunn, equiripple in passband does cause distinct pre and post echoes. 

Pre-echoes caused by linear phase filter pre-ringing is several orders of magnitude bigger.

Just now, Shadorne said:

My observation of differences in soundstage (Redbook Vs pc-based DSD256 with a true 1 bit SDM DAC) has led me to conjecture that the equiripple in the passband might be the audible problem with almost all DAC chips.

Well, HQPlayer has that covered at least, sot that it is non-issue.

But in my opinion, there are other bigger factors... Not limited to just digital filters.

3 minutes ago, STC said:

I would appreciate that but why 10 MHz? But if you can create something like that and could hear the difference than there could be something more than ILD and ITD because I suppose you can measure exactly the ITD and ILD .

Because we are discussing effects in the analog waveform reconstruction.

5 hours ago, Shadorne said:

This is a bit off topic (more maths) but the way I understand it, the pre-echo and post echo is a consequence of the finite tap filter length.

Which echo are you now talking about. Ringing is function of filter length. Pass-band ripple is unrelated to filter length (number of taps).

You have a discontinuity at the beginning and end of the multiplication for each step of the integration process of the convolution. As the tap filter slides across the input signal (the convolution process) the input signal “reflects off” the end (post echo) and beginning (pre echo) of the tap filter. 

So more taps (steps) you have, longer it rings.

A longer tap filter is going to have a smaller reflection than a short tap filter  (basically the amplitude is linearly related to tap filter length).

No, the opposite.

This may be why Rob Watts likes the sound of super ultra long filters and refers to “smearing” in his presentations. (Because there is a linear relationship you have to go to enormously long filters to get a meaningful reduction in echo amplitude)

His filters ring for about 700 ms. So you have 350 ms pre-echo and 350 ms post-echo.

I would expect apodizing might also be used to soften the echos as well as other tricks but inherently apodizing changes the overall result so it has fidelity issues itself (which some may argue are inaudible if done properly)

Apodizing exists to deal with problems originating from ADC digital filters. And possible rate conversion methods used as part of the production chain.

6 hours ago, Shadorne said:

Sorry to be pedantic but this isn’t an echo at all it is ringing.

No, you are wrong. It is echo, the filter taps before the main lobe affect output of the filter before the actual event in time happens (pre echo). It is kind of time machine achieved through equivalent amount of delay. And the taps after the main lobe affect output of the filter after the actual event (post echo). More taps you have, longer it echoes.

Pre-ringing isn’t audible unless your hearing is good at that highfrequency which is usually between 20KHz and 22 KHz.

It is at, or very close to audible band that is why it is a problem. Even more so when you use for example linear phase EQ, this is why most room EQ is minimum or mixed phase.

BUT - and this is where I am going - can someone test to see if this could be the mechanism by which we hear a major difference when upsampling Redbook to DSD64 or higher on a powerful computer with a high degree of precision and accepting the related high latency (which all DAC designers try to avoid).

If you compare number of HQPlayer algorithms, there are still differences although the pass-band ripple is not a concern.

Yes, it is one of the many aspects that affect the result, but there are other, bigger ones.

It would be simple enough, if HQplayer offered an upsampling option that mirrors what goes on in various popular chip based DACs like ESS, Wolfson, Cirrus, and TI/Burr Brown - then users could compare directly - even A and B. Audibility could be confirmed to be processing based.

As I said above, you can test the theory in other way too. Compare various HQPlayer algorithms that still have the passband ripple well below anything that analog domain can represent.

But it is not all attributable to one single digital filter property, it is much more complex.

You can also compare apodizing filters (most HQPlayer filters) vs non-apodizing filters. Since you have such errors, among with others embedded in the source content from the ADC and production chain filters. Apodizing filters can correct such errors while non-apodizing will reproduce the source content errors too.

2 hours ago, Shadorne said:

And yes an apodizing filter would be intended to reduce that echo, although at the expense of accuracy of the transient response.

https://www.nanophon.com/audio/antialia.pdf

refer to Section 2 in the above paper.

No, apodizing filters improve transient response by fixing such errors among others in the source content.

I cannot see anything related to apodizing filters in that paper.

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, the 'wrong things' are what are always measured - which is why it's typically such a torturous path for people to evolve a system into producing highly convincing playback.

Not always, I believe I measure number of relevant things.

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Again, noise and interference are the enemy; 

That is something that can be measured pretty easily.

Section 2 of the link I provided is EXACTLY WHAT I am referring to when I mentioned pre-echo and post echo. I realize the word echo has all kinds of other/different meanings to you so I just wanted to clarify once again what I meant is what Julian described in Section 2. 

This will be my last attempt at clarification, as I think the discussion seems to have drifted and I apologize for being unable to get my points across succinctly enough for you to grasp.

My point is that the difference doesn't solely attribute to any such single thing. Just one of the many factors contributing to the end result.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I'm sure that there are hints in what conventional measurements give us which indicate issues - however, I have not read anything which neatly ties the normal numbers which can be obtained, to what is heard.

Well, that's news to me :). I don't think I have read anywhere where someone has done research on the resistance of a complete audio chain to noise/interference, as regards the impact on subjective SQ ...

Then you haven't been reading my postings much...

Things like NAA also exist for a reason, which is more than one.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Archimago said:

I've had listening tests with many AKM DACs using DSD-Direct over the years as well beyond the ESS chips.

These are naturally not native PCM, so you more like compare modulators (if you used same digital filter for both).

57 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Yeah, I prefer not to listen to DSD64 either... Just an observation that subjectively it made more difference than DSD256

For example the new AK4191 + AK4499EX chip combo always runs either at 128fs or 256fs conversion rate. With careful selection of settings this combo can also do great DSD Direct conversion at DSD128 or DSD256. Then also the modulator rates can match.