IGNORED

DIY Budget PTP Grandmaster Clock with GPS correction

Hi Guapo,

Please help me understand the end result of this MC inclusion.  Does it improve the SQ of your Merging Hapi & Anubis significantly.  I realize that improvement is always the end goal.  Can a Mutec REF 20 (it is not GPS) MC provide a WC input (via some WC generator) to achieve something similar/close to it.  Curious as I have some of the components but not the intellect or energy to follow your trail blaze.

Do advise.  Cheers!

Hi the unknown

1 hour ago, Mantheunknown said:

Does it improve the SQ of your Merging Hapi & Anubis significantly.

Difficult to distinguish. Only the ppm number makes me feel good. 🤣 Maybe it's the placebo effect but if really want to say something... it has better clarity @ 48KHz sampling rate compared to Merging's Zman.

1 hour ago, Mantheunknown said:

Can a Mutec REF 20 (it is not GPS) MC provide a WC input (via some WC generator) to achieve something similar/close to it.

I can't find the spec sheet of Mutec Ref 20... based on current product of Mutec you can try MC3+ as word clock generator and connect it to Hapi's BNC WC input. Hapi only accepts WCK, no 10MHz. Then set Hapi as PTP GMC (remember to select the WCK as the clock source) and put it to crown position in the Ravenna/AES67 network. I think you can get very good result from it.

Guapo

Image 5-14-23 at 9.13 PM.jpg

Hi El Guapo,

I was referring to Ref 10 SE 120 which provides 10 Mhz clock output to feed a WCK generator.  I kind of swallowed some alphabets and numbers in between!!  I have a Singxer SU2 which can take 10MHz clock from the Mutec and output a word clock of 44.1K-384K.  So I could experiment to see effect on SQ. Thanks  Cheers

• 1 month later...

@El Guapo  pretty interesting stuff..    I actually started looking into adding an external clock to my Hapi now that I have things integrated correctly but finding this is an entirely new rabbit hole!  lol

So how does a PTP Grandmaster clock differ from adding an external word clock ( with or without the addition of a master clock signal to the word clock)

Since Hapi is running off PTP does that mean adding a wordclock is pointless?

4 hours ago, Erik Haas said:

how does a PTP Grandmaster clock differ from adding an external word clock ( with or without the addition of a master clock signal to the word clock)

If you have a medium to large scale of AoIP network, cross-country subnet or multiple sampling rate (multiple PTP domain) in your network, the PTP GPS GMC is the best bet. All nodes will be synced by single time source: GPS. Although WC-synced Hapi Mk2 can be the GMC in small scale AoIP network but the WC is still running it's own clock and wandering over time (not synced to GPS or other ref signal). Also most of the WCs only support up to 192KHz, no DXD/DSD. PTP GMC has no such issue.

Some of the affordable GPS NTP time servers have 10MHz ref signal output. If your WC can accept 10MHz ref signal you may use the NTP server as the

reference. The WC will be synced by GPS as well.

4 hours ago, Erik Haas said:

Since Hapi is running off PTP does that mean adding a wordclock is pointless?

Some point of view... yes. Only one time source when operating the AoIP. When selecting PTP as Hapi's time source, the WC will be in STBY mode.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, El Guapo said:

If you have a medium to large scale of AoIP network, cross-country subnet or multiple sampling rate (multiple PTP domain) in your network, the PTP GPS GMC is the best bet. All nodes will be synced by single time source: GPS. Although WC-synced Hapi Mk2 can be the GMC in small scale AoIP network but the WC is still running it's own clock and wandering over time (not synced to GPS or other ref signal). Also most of the WCs only support up to 192KHz, no DXD/DSD. PTP GMC has no such issue.

Some of the affordable GPS NTP time servers have 10MHz ref signal output. If your WC can accept 10MHz ref signal you may use the NTP server as the

reference. The WC will be synced by GPS as well.

Some point of view... yes. Only one time source when operating the AoIP. When selecting PTP as Hapi's time source, the WC will be in STBY mode.

Interesting.   Though if using HQplayer and if Hapi is used as a master clock can the PTP clock add better clocking / audio quality to the Hapi?

Then I also question, if youre running a separate PTP grand master clock, wouldnt you need to add a switch that is also PTP capitable to distribute the master lock signal to everything?

I did some searching and it looks like Sonifex makes a pretty nice GM PTP clock which is also Ravenna certified.

https://www.sonifex.co.uk/avn/avn-gmcs.shtml

11 hours ago, Erik Haas said:

if using HQplayer and if Hapi is used as a master clock can the PTP clock add better clocking / audio quality to the Hapi?

In this scenario, if Hapi mk2 is the only output for HQPlayer, add a PTP GMC might have not much help (zman-based system already has a very high quality clock inside). Hapi still can connect a word clock as clock source tho.

11 hours ago, Erik Haas said:

if youre running a separate PTP grand master clock, wouldnt you need to add a switch that is also PTP capitable to distribute the master lock signal to everything?

If 3 or 4 AES67 equipments in the network and distance is short, non-PTP switch like Cisco CBS350 still doing great. Such switch is recommended by Merging. If equipments getting more and RJ45 cable distance getting longer, PTP-TC, or more expensive, PTP-OC capable switch is the better choice. Netgear M4250 is TC capable and recommended by Merging as well.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:36 PM, El Guapo said:

In this scenario, if Hapi mk2 is the only output for HQPlayer, add a PTP GMC might have not much help (zman-based system already has a very high quality clock inside). Hapi still can connect a word clock as clock source tho.

If 3 or 4 AES67 equipments in the network and distance is short, non-PTP switch like Cisco CBS350 still doing great. Such switch is recommended by Merging. If equipments getting more and RJ45 cable distance getting longer, PTP-TC, or more expensive, PTP-OC capable switch is the better choice. Netgear M4250 is TC capable and recommended by Merging as well.

All Great info...   I dove down the rabbit hole for a few weeks looking at stuff.   Still not sure if it's advisable to look into PTP clocking or finding a Word Clock generator capable  of doing fs x256 rates which i would assume would take care of 11.2mhz 256dsd rates.

I remember reading that it's important to have a low phase / jitter clock when using clocking for audio.   Does PTP clocking have the same low phase / jitter characteristics? 

33 minutes ago, Erik Haas said:

finding a Word Clock generator capable  of doing fs x256 rates

Although some word clock supports 11.2MHz for DSD256 but I'm afraid it can't be used on Hapi. 🤔️ If you have DSD requirement I'd suggest to find a PTP GMC.

33 minutes ago, Erik Haas said:

Does PTP clocking have the same low phase / jitter characteristics?

The PTP uses IP packets carried with time stamp to help clients to find the correct time difference, then use such info to synchronize its time to the GMC. There's no ref clock signal transmitted in the network so don't worry about the phase / jitter specs. AFAIK most of the GPS PTP GMCs use 1 PPS from GPS chip to calibrate its own clock (including frequency, phase and ToD), then use that calibrated clock as the source for PTP. I think PTP GPS GMC for Ravenna all have good performance (GPS accuracy can count to sub-microsecond). 

BTW I found an error in my previous reply. It's "PTP-BC capable", not OC. BC = Boundary Clock.

14 minutes ago, Mantheunknown said:

why word clock supporting 11.2 MHz for DSD 256 cannot be used on HAPI

AFAIK Merging's DSD256 uses 352.8KHz, not 11.2MHz. I also checked Merging+CLOCK spec it does not have 11.2MHz. So I concluded 11.2MHz might not work on Hapi with *P boards. Maybe I was wrong... 🤔

13 hours ago, Erik Haas said:

it's important to have a low phase / jitter clock when using clocking for audio

Screenshot is about how PTP works... IP *.104 is my Intel e810 (as PTP GMC).

In default the AES67 media profile the GMC will announce (sounds like: hey dudes, I'm going to tell you the time) every 1 second, and send sync message every 0.125 seconds for syncing. The follow up messages are by two-step configuration which contain the actual time stamps. After followers receive the sync message it'll send delay request to the GMC. GMC then responses the delay. After such mechanism the followers can find the time difference between GMC and the followers. Followers then use those data to sync the local clock.

Delay-request-response-mechanism-of-the-PTP-timing-exchange-protocol.png.8118762bd11e0100e2fed190482d8bd6.png

Here's the actual packets I captured from my Ravenna network (I added a magenta arrow to represent time sequence).

Screenshot2023-07-21at09_48_23.thumb.png.5e978e64b0b873d735d7cfe9c9baff06.png

Although there's no jitter or phase issues in PTP time sync mechanism but the delay issue from the switch is significant. Screenshot shows the packets had been delayed for nearly 4us. So if your Ravenna network is complex like multichannel, hi-res contents or more equipments, I'd suggest to configure a TC-capable switch at least. 

Image2023-7-21at09_51.thumb.jpg.8e3e51bc2a163e0526334fbef0216da9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@El Guapo thank you again for all this info and your patience with my questions.

I have found myself diving deep in the PTP rabbit hole for the past few weeks and “think” I have a better understanding.  

please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.  

To improve the clock accuracy of a unit like the Hapi/Anubis via PTP the following are needed 

1. PTP grandmaster clock.  This may use GPS as the highest clock priority and May have a internal clock for back up

2. PTP Boundary Clock / Switch : this goes in between the GMC and your Slave Devices (Hapi/Anubis) and distributes the time corrected GMC.  ( it basically measures and corrects the time stamp delays)

There  has been some recent  confusion with Switches such as the Netgear M4250 being used to improve clocking. From my understanding that this device is a transparent clock meaning it only distributes the GMC signal to other boundary clocks and has no real effect on overall PTP accuracy in our use case.  

Outside of building what you did it seems like the following devices would be needed to implement a highly accurate PTP clocking system would require the following as an example:

1.  Grandmaster Clock : Sonifex AVN-GMCS

2. Boundary Clock/Switch : Quarra PTP - 1G Compact

3. Merging Hapi/Anubis 

thank for letting think this out on the thread.  Hopefully my understanding is correct.  

10 hours ago, Erik Haas said:

2. PTP Boundary Clock / Switch : this goes in between the GMC and your Slave Devices (Hapi/Anubis) and distributes the time corrected GMC.  ( it basically measures and corrects the time stamp delays)

Boundary clock is more like an agent / middleman. BC will be calibrated by GMC then acts as a GMC. Clients won't talk to the real GMC after all.

GMC --> BC <-> clients structure is to reduce the GMC's workload (imaging hundreds of clients send delay request at the same time in large scale network...) and also be the backup GMC if the real GMC failed. 

There  has been some recent  confusion with Switches such as the Netgear M4250 being used to improve clocking. From my understanding that this device is a transparent clock meaning it only distributes the GMC signal to other boundary clocks and has no real effect on overall PTP accuracy in our use case.

TC-capable switch will update the time stamp when packets leave for letting the next client knows how many delay in the switch. So it still affects overall PTP accuracy.

GMC <-> TC <-> clients structure still can gain very high accuracy (nanosecond level) because clients can talk to the GMC directly. In small scale Ravenna network it is quite sufficient. You can even manually increase the announce / sync intervals for more accurate time syncing process if you like (in such case only few clients in the network so it won't cause high workload for GMC).

Outside of building what you did it seems like the following devices would be needed to implement a highly accurate PTP clocking system would require the following as an example:

1.  Grandmaster Clock : Sonifex AVN-GMCS

2. Boundary Clock/Switch : Quarra PTP - 1G Compact

3. Merging Hapi/Anubis

If your budget is ok this list is the best equipments you can have so far.🤤