IGNORED

Basic Dsp hardware set up

Vds

Question

Hi, I’m using a Xilica xp4080 between my preamp and amps in a 2 way, 2 ch system.

Innous streamer>Terminator2 dac > tube preamp > Xilica> power amps> speakers.

Wondering several things…

is the additional AD/DA from the Xilica not the optimal setup? 
is there a way to stay digital until after Dsp? Only 1 DA coversion?

How does Xilica compare In SQ to say Linea, Lake?

Ive thought of going to software, Audiolense(?) but a little intimidated as I have no software programming experience at all.  
I’m interested in being able to incorporate FIR filers to maintain phase consistency.

I’ve searched this question, but the conversations get very technical very quickly.

Any perspectives on possible improvement to current Dsp setup greatly appreciated.

Ted

2 answers to this question

On 5/6/2023 at 4:19 PM, Vds said:

Hi, I’m using a Xilica xp4080 between my preamp and amps in a 2 way, 2 ch system.

Innous streamer>Terminator2 dac > tube preamp > Xilica> power amps> speakers.

Wondering several things…

How does Xilica compare In SQ to say Linea, Lake?

Ive thought of going to software, Audiolense(?) but a little intimidated as I have no software programming experience at all.  
I’m interested in being able to incorporate FIR filers to maintain phase consistency.

I’ve searched this question, but the conversations get very technical very quickly.

Any perspectives on possible improvement to current Dsp setup greatly appreciated.

Ted

Adding additional layers of AD/DA conversions should be avoided if possible. 

The best way to stay digital until after DSP is applied would be by doing the DSP in software. Some people use a music server running something like Roon or JRiver for playback management. Both of these software's have the ability for you to feed them an FIR filter created elsewhere to then be applied to the music file before the signal leaves the digital domain.

So in your case, you could use Roon or JRiver (as two examples) to apply your filters (which are created elsewhere via some other software). The digital signal would leave the music server on its way to the Terminator DAC with the filters "baked in". The DAC would do the DA conversion and the Analog signal would be fed into your external Pre-Amp then on to your Amps. No additional boxes needed in the chain.

Adding a box after the PreAmp which takes the Analog signal and converts it back to a digital one in order to apply digital trickery before converting it back to Analog again is not an ideal way to go about it...IMO.

I think the benefit of what you are currently doing is that it allows you to add Subs pretty easily without having to buy a multi-channel DAC but it does have its drawbacks.

Long story short, I think you may have to dive into the User Guides of the software to learn how to implement the more ideal approach if you want the best out of your system. Then you can sell off the extra box.

Another option would be to get rid of the external Analog Pre-Amp and feed a Digital Output (From your DAC..if it has one) to a similar device as you have now, but one that has Digital Inputs and a Volume control if you didn't want to dive into the software approach previously mentioned.

14 hours ago, cjf said:

Adding additional layers of AD/DA conversions should be avoided if possible. 

The best way to stay digital until after DSP is applied would be by doing the DSP in software. Some people use a music server running something like Roon or JRiver for playback management. Both of these software's have the ability for you to feed them an FIR filter created elsewhere to then be applied to the music file before the signal leaves the digital domain.

So in your case, you could use Roon or JRiver (as two examples) to apply your filters (which are created elsewhere via some other software). The digital signal would leave the music server on its way to the Terminator DAC with the filters "baked in". The DAC would do the DA conversion and the Analog signal would be fed into your external Pre-Amp then on to your Amps. No additional boxes needed in the chain.

Adding a box after the PreAmp which takes the Analog signal and converts it back to a digital one in order to apply digital trickery before converting it back to Analog again is not an ideal way to go about it...IMO.

I think the benefit of what you are currently doing is that it allows you to add Subs pretty easily without having to buy a multi-channel DAC but it does have its drawbacks.

Long story short, I think you may have to dive into the User Guides of the software to learn how to implement the more ideal approach if you want the best out of your system. Then you can sell off the extra box.

Another option would be to get rid of the external Analog Pre-Amp and feed a Digital Output (From your DAC..if it has one) to a similar device as you have now, but one that has Digital Inputs and a Volume control if you didn't want to dive into the software approach previously mentioned.

+1
the two ways for improvement:
- push your learning curve
- pay for the service of @mitchco at Accurate Sound (link) - it's definitely worth it!

Tom,
who uses AUDIOLENSE with JRIVER into OKTO RESEARCH DAC 8 pro into power amplification for active 2 way SLOBs. Setup and xover design by Mitch. Measurements with UMIK-1.