IGNORED

How to Get my Music Files Closer to my DAC?

Hello all, I’m trying to get my FLAC files physically close to my DAC while accessing them from my PC which is over 10 ft. away. I currently have the basic connection of PC > DAC via USB cable. I’m currently using and would like to continue using my Media Monkey app on my PC.

Full disclosure – I’m pretty ignorant to the ins and outs of NAS’s, Music Server’s etc . My head just swims trying to figure out what might work

Using Media Monkey and Windows 10 on my PC, I’d like to have it communicate with whatever device my FLAC files are installed on, which will be close to my DAC.  From there have my FLAC files go to my DAC using a nice short USB cable or other digital inputs such as AES, XLR, COAX, SPDIF.

I do not stream music. I do have a Singxer SU-2 and a wired network I can use for this pursuit. I’m okay buying what’s needed, but I hope it doesn’t have to be stupid expensive. And of course, I’d really like to have a high-quality signal going to my DAC

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated – Thanks!

We don't know what's your DAC, how much you wish an audiophile solution and how much you are ready to invest into your wished improvement.

If your DAC is placed far from your desk, usual approach is like:

[ Control app with GUI ] --LAN--> [audio endpoint or renderer ] --USB--> [ DAC ]

Control app can by an app on computer or mobile device.

LAN can be wired or wireless.

Audio endpoint/renderer can be

a) general computer (something small, silently or passively cooled, like RPi4) running for example some UPnP Renderer software - you could use your current DAC with it
b) or it can be a specialized (for audio optimized) device which inside contains a computer and is delivered with audio software or firmware already preinstalled. Look at for example iFi ZEN Stream or Allo USBridge or SMSL SD-9 with USB output to DAC. WiiM Pro with coax and toslink SPDIF out is also an option.

Some DACs are equipped also with audio endpoint functionality (then they have LAN input or can connect wireless). Similarly some streamer devices contain DAC. But since you already own a DAC I suggested you few devices which allow you to connect to your existing DAC.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hi bogi.  My DAC is currently a HOLO Spring 3 KTE.

The solutions you offered are the exact kind of solutions I was looking for,  and the cost appear to be well within what I was looking to spend.

There are just so many products out there I was having trouble figuring out where to even start. You gave me a great direction to move toward, so thank you.

Thank you for the suggestions! I decided to go with the iFi Zen to use with my network. Other than looking a bit ugly, it's does have the USB 3.0 ports, whereas some of the other products seem to not.

If I can pick up a sMS-200 on the cheap, I might go ahead and give that a test drive also.

I may go ahead and put my Singxer SU-2 between the iFi and Holo, to see if that can give additional improvement.