IGNORED

Article: The Dark Side of the Moon in Dolby TrueHD Atmos

28 minutes ago, bobfa said:

This is the first ATMOS album I have listened to on my AirPods Pro 2, showing what Apple has done with its hardware and software.  It is also very cool on the M1 MacBook Air Speakers!

This work thing has gotten in the road of a listen on the 7.1.4 system.    Maybe just a taste before bed!

That taste could turn into a 10 song taste. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I know it may be too complex an answer for here, but can you point me to an explanation/discussion about how this is all encoded?

I know TrueHD is capable of using objects with metadata and your processor figures out the decoding to place the object in space, but I don't understand how the channels works. When you say it uses all my 7.1.4  channels , does that mean it is hard encoded with  12 channels, or that your processor decodes it and uses however many channels are available? So if you had 7.1.6 or 9.1.6 would it use all 14 or 16, or would it still be 12 channels because it is encoded with 12 channels?

you see a question on various forums where somebody asks something like "how many channels does Apple TV Atmos stream" or "how many channels is Netflix Atmos" so in the same vein, how many channels are encoded in this TrueHD mix? .. and I can't find a good answer. 

thanks

Here are some screenshots showing the output. I appears that the TrueHD Atmos only sends audio to 12 channels (7.1.4), using the official Dolby decoder. 

These shots were taken at random times, so ignore the output level. I sampled the entire album randomly and the channel output was identical in all testing (not talking about volume of course). 

7.1.4.png

9.1.4.png

9.1.6.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png