IGNORED

Antivirus Software?

I have my machine running Windows System 7 64xbit and I am wondering whether I should install Microsoft's antivirus software on my new dedicated music system. Does running antivirus effect the sound quality using usb? What are you guys doing?

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Chris obviously knows what he's doing and therefore is comfortable with not running anti-virus on a windows music server. IF you choose not to run anti-virus you need to be exceptionally careful what you are downloading and ensure you know precisely the source if the files - or download to one computer before transferring to your NAS / music server.

As a general rule recommending to users of Windows PCs having no anti-virus is a bad idea (IMO).

You could consider blocking the music server from accessing the Internet if your router supports this. That would be a good defence from most nasty "viruses".

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have my music server running without antivirus. I have not had to access the internet except for Microsoft updates. I did not load service pack 1 as there is some controversy on this site. I downloaded JRiver and dbpoweramp with my workstation. I transferred the JRiver download to the music server and installed it. I am now using my workstation to rip all my CDs to wave files. I then just copy the wave files or folders to my music server and import them with JRiver. It works great and is very close to my transport.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I don't run AV on my music server but do take extra care about where I visit from this machine, Eloise advice is sound IMO

VirusTotal provide a service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines.

I always upload downloaded content to this site before executing on my machine.

You can try it here:

http://www.virustotal.com/

Coxhaus, what you are doing is very close to what I want to do. Excuse an ignorant question, but how are you implementing the copying from the workstation to the server? My understanding is that the easiest way to isolate computers not running anti-virus software is to not have it connected via LAN or WLAN to computers which are connected to the internet. This would mean physically moving external drives from the Internet connected computers to the music server in order to maintain isolation. Is there another way to maintain isolation and yet still maintain a physical connection between computers? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

but I do know that Norton anti-virus sucks ass. I used to run one of the Norton products including "Internet Security". Somehow my PC became infected with one of the trojans claiming that the machine was infected and that I needed to buy a special anti-virus software to protect the machine. Two things: 1) Norton did not protect my computer from infection; 2) I ran Norton after discovering the infection and it did NOT detect the infection, much less fix it!

Since then, I've been running w/o AV software and my PC did become infected again a few months later. IME, computer viruses are part of computing, regardless of anti-virus software. I just make sure that my files are backed-up and am ready to re-image the HD whenever needed.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I have my music server on my local LAN but I do not use it on the internet except for Microsoft updates. I use my workstation for all internet work for the music server and I then transfer all files checked by my workstation to the music server. Yes there is a chance from one of my workstations infecting it. I do keep all my workstations up to date with antivirus which reduces the chance of my LAN becoming infected. I am exploring creating a separate Vlan for my music server to isolate the broadcast domain so local machines will not be able to see or access the music server.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...