https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD

upmpdcli is a UPnP Media Renderer front-end for MPD, the Music Player Daemon. It supports UPnP gapless track transitions and the OpenHome ohMedia services (including a Radio service to listen to Internet streams).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

13 hours ago, Spacecase said:

also seems that, once i finally get my renderer connected, it only shows L16 audio formats being supported. I am using upmpdcli as the upnp software on the end point, which definitely supports 24 bit playback

L16 is supposed to refer specifically to 16bit raw LPCM type of audio streams, so nothing to do with audio streams in general especially including the more usual audio file format encoded type of streams such as WAV, FLAC, etc (and therefore whether 16bit or 24bit of those type of audio streams are supported or not). 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

29 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@Cebolla … I should have written “which is “ … it’s clear that is an upnp renderer but we don’t know who’s the manufacturer and which model it is

Open source upmpdcli is the UPnP renderer. There is no other, if the manufacturer uses upmpdcli as the UPnP renderer in their streamer models.

-- Jo Cox

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, me too :~)

However, they have a configuration option that enables the renderer to appear in more apps. 

I suppose it's always best to make sure exactly what's meant by a 'UPnP renderer', given that upmpdcli can be configured to be either an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) renderer or a standard UPnP renderer or both (so will appear or not in apps that have a control point for only one of those types of renderer).  

-- Jo Cox

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:
17 hours ago, CJA said:

First, my Vitus supports gapless playback and I'm able to use it with the mcontrol app.

MConnect Player has two gapless settings:

• by the app
  • by the renderer

which one are you using?

Conversdigital's mconnect Control (aka mcontrol) app is the dedicated controller for Conversdigital's own streamer hardware. It is not the same as Conversdigital's mconnect Player app which can be used to control Chromecast and standard UPnP/DLNA streamers.

Perhaps the Vitus's Conversdigital designed streamer module only supports gapless playback with its dedicated controller, so (unfortunately) not when operated as a standard UPnP streamer (ie, with a gapless supporting standard UPnP controller app like JPLAY for iOS or mconnect Player). 

-- Jo Cox

No. It (& the rebranded/customised versions) are only for Conversdigital's own boards - you cannot use it with standard UPnP streamers. Plus, who knows how Conversdigital's hardware supports gapless? Certainly cannot assume it uses the same mechanism as standard UPnP (via the SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP AVTransport action).

-- Jo Cox

54 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I was saying that Control and Player apps have the same functionalities regarding playing.

Ok - as long as we are clear that doesn't mean that Conversdigital's proprietary streamer gapless support must work in exactly the same way as standard UPnP gapless support does.

54 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

That’s why I was asking which gapless setting was used (by app or by renderer) and I’m quite sure it is by app

It's been a while since I used the mconnect Player app. That old version didn't have separate gapless 'by app' or 'by renderer' settings then - only a single 'gapless 'setting. Presumably the (new) 'by app' one is to get the app's built-in local player (for the iPad/iPhone itself) to support gapless - so absolutely nothing to do with any networked streamer being controlled by the app (for which the original single gapless setting was for & presumably the new 'by renderer' one is also for).

Is that your understanding of the difference?

If so, why would there be a need for a 'by app' gapless setting in the mconnect Control app as I believe it is only a controller for Conversdigital's proprietary streamers (so the app has no local player for the iPhone/iPad)?

-- Jo Cox

17 hours ago, CJA said:

Using Minimserver as my library had basically the same result with JPlay. Pauses between tracks were about 9 seconds.

I connected my laptop via ethernet cable so wifi was not involved.

When I tried the Mcontrol app with Mimimserver, pause between tracks and gapless playback was still available.

Not surprising really given that as a UPnP controller JPlay uses the standard UPnP gapless playback support mechanism (via the SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP AVTransport action), which is strictly an interaction only between between UPnP controller and UPnP streamer and therefore nothing to do with the UPnP media server (so includes MinimServer and the Lumin's media server).

16 hours ago, CJA said:
17 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Then it seems there is some UPNP compatibility issue between your renderer and JPlay, we’ll see if @Marcin_gps can solve it

I'd be disappointed if it's due to Mconnect hardware built into the streamer but that's what I'm expecting.

Yes, there's nothing @Marcin_gps can do about it if the streamer's Mconnect hardware doesn't support gapless playback when operating as a standard UPnP streamer - as seems likely, unfortunately.

Ironically, the thing that should verify the Mconnect hardware's missing UPnP gapless support  would be to actually test using the other gapless supporting standard UPnP controller app mentioned, ie, the (elephant in the room) mconnect Player app. The free Lite version will do:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mconnect-player-lite/id507379024

-- Jo Cox

There was no question of the Vitus Mconnect hardware supporting standard UPnP streaming itself (you would not have been able to use it at all with a standard UPnP controller like the JPlay or mconnect Player if that were the case), just whether it supported gapless playback under standard UPnP. Excellent that has been clarified, though. So there could actually be a chance that @Marcin_gps can do something about the problem - glad my fear that the Mconnect hardware method of gapless support could be different to standard UPnP's doesn't appear to be true!   

-- Jo Cox

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

perhaps because Minimserver uses the UPNP protocol contrary to other players that read the file/s directly from the file system.
The UPNP transmission is very similar to that used by streaming services, in fact an http address is used which is transmitted to the renderer which then requests it from the server

Strictly speaking there is no UPnP communication between UPnP media servers (such as Minimserver) and UPnP renderers, ie, it is all HTTP streaming ('transmission') rather than any such UPnP 'transmission'.

The communication for streaming between UPnP media server and UPnP renderer is not just very similar to that used by online streaming services, it is the same - with the UPnP media server being the HTTP server and the UPnP renderer being the HTTP client. Hence the reason why UPnP renderers are able to stream music file tracks directly from TIDAL's & Qobuz's online servers.

-- Jo Cox

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

There has been a bit of chat on the Antipodes users community forum about getting JPLAY to work with Squeeze server (LMS) and Squeeze Player by using a UPnP/DLNA plug in for Squeeze. Some have got this to work but say the plug in is limited to 16 bit. I personally haven't got it to work at all.

Has anyone any experience of getting this to work or another way of using JPLAY to control Squeeze because I would be VERY interested if JPLAY could be made to work with Squeeze because of the very much better (in my opinion) sound quality of Squeeze compared to MinimSever and MPN player (which does however run faultlessly on my Antipodes Oladra controlled by JPLAY on my iPad).

Unlike the similarly named (but not for same purpose) UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin, the old UPnP/DLNA Media Interface LMS plugin has not been supported for years, so you're likely to encounter bugs with it, unfortunately. Doubly so, as you appear to be using its (rarely used) UPnP/DLNA renderer emulation function for your Oladra's Squeezelite player, so not just its (better known) UPnP/DLNA media server function for the Logitech Media Server.

You'll probably get the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin to work much better with an actual UPnP/DLNA renderer, so using the Oladra's MPD (via upmpdcli) player instead of its Squeezelite player - though this is probably moot, given your opinion of Squeezelite's audio quality superiority over MPD. 

Can you not simply use LMS's built-in Squeeze player controller (via any web browser app) on your iPad, instead of JPLAY?

You should get a pretty decent UI via the popular & very well maintained Material Skin LMS plugin and the Music & Artist Information LMS plugin. 

-- Jo Cox

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, tom_on_wheels said:

Did anyone manage to play web radio via jPlay?

I am using MinimServer and ConvoProxy. I was following the instructions to play web radio on the MinimServer website by creating a .m3u playlist. In jPlay app it shows no files found. If I double click on the file on my Mac Apple Music is opening and playing the radio station.

This is what's in the file:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1, RadioEins MP3
http://www.radioeins.de/livemp3

Any ideas?

Double clicking on the file only tests if the playlist file is configured correctly (& the web radio stream linked to in it is working), not if whatever you've configured ConvoProxy to do with that web radio stream (as linked to by MinimServer) is working & being presented properly to a UPnP/DLNA controller such as JPLAY for iOS.

- Have you tested if a UPnP/DLNA controller other than JPLAY for iOS is finding the WAV file stream that ConvoProxy is providing (as a result of it doing whatever you've configured ConvoProxy to do with that web radio stream)?

- Have you tested if the JPLAY for iOS app can find that web radio stream itself as actually linked to by MinimServer, ie, not using the ConvoProxy 'middleman'?

-- Jo Cox

Oops, just read that the current version of ConvoProxy works as a renderer and not as a media server as I remember!

My apologies, please ignore my previous post.

May be worth testing with another UPnP/DLNA controller all the same, to make sure that the problem isn't an issue with MinimServer.

-- Jo Cox