IGNORED

Network over power

One recurring thought about Ethernet over powerline is that we want the purest (closest to signwave) AC power, and EoP is deliberately adding noise to the power. Depending on the equipment you use this could be a big negative issue.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Kel,

I looked into this topic not long ago, and the speed of network over power is dependent on the quality/age of wiring of the home, with newish homes usually providing better results.

If you can run cat5 you are perhaps best off doing so for the reason Eloise mentions.

If you have a specific need to run your network over power, let me know and I will give some specific recommendations regarding what products to use.

Ron

My answer to room acoustics? ...Headphones!

Chris,I read about the monstor ones the other day, they look like there ok, cant find them in Australia thou, there are plenty of brands out there!also from what I read I believe that they have made mass advances in the technogy of late. Eloise from what I can understand is that these work on a different frenquency than 50 to 60 hz, one would guess it would not be like a fridge motor?

Hopfully someone has used them or maybe I will have to be the first and report back!If I decided to go down that track. I was going to run Cat5 sheilded cable until I ordered over the net and got ripped with normal Cat5, left a bad taste.

Thanks Kel

krose

My solar panels transfer data to my DSL connection using this protocol.

(Here is the result, if you are interested.)

I've been concerned about the RF signal (noise) this puts on my line, and what it might do to the audio. I never actually heard evidence that it is problematic, but decided to use a power surge protector with an RF filter, to minimize the effect.

Why not use wireless?

Here's what the solar panel people recommended if I needed to boost the signal (it weakens the further away from the panel you get, and I have noticed that noise generated by dimmer switches and power supplies for external hard drives can corrupt the signal quite dramatically). Fortunately, I didn't need the booster and returned it to them.

Hi Kel,

I am trying to recall the CEDIA (Australian) standards in regards to installing cat5. From memory, you want cat5 a foot or more away from AC wiring and if it needs to cross over AC wire, it should be run perpendicular (90deg). If the AC wire is in conduit, run the cat5 outside of the conduit.

What would I do? If I was in your shoes it all depends on how much cat5 needs to be run. If you are only networking a couple of rooms, and you don't mind spending the time, give a try. If you see transmission issues (e.g., drops in speed) then you go to plan B. The cost is time and cheap cat5 cable.

You home is relatively new and you *should* see good results with ethernet over power. You could ask a local retailer if you can return a powerline kit if it does not meet your requirements, and test the performance and any affects of noise without risk. Centrecom and MSY may be worth a try. I can't recall what product seemed best after an exhaustive search some months back. Netgear, d-link and Netcomm powerline products are readily available in Melbourne (not sure where you are in Oz), and it was one of those. This link is a decent read:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3860/powerline-networking-with-the-western-digital-livewire

The biggest concern with ethernet over power is reliability. If an adaptor goes faulty good by network in that location until it is replaced...

As the last poster suggested, wireless may be the most painless solution (at the cost of airborne RFI :), though you may have your reasons for not running a wireless setup.

Ron

My answer to room acoustics? ...Headphones!

There really is no issue running Ethernet next to power... Most office buildings do this with a 2 channel conduit system with power in one channel an Ethernet cable in the second channel.

If you're using heavy machinery it's possible for the ethebet signal to be disrupted, but in domestic environment, especially if using STP (shielded), there is unlikely to be a problem.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks, I think I have found a solution, I should be able to run the cat five down the cavity between brick work and internal frame, as it is a external wall, I only just click as I was out walking to day around a area of new houses and it dawn on that we only have to lift a tile for access, with my second point which is not as critical I am gong to give the overpower line a shot, as it basically just accessing files from PC to watch, no as important as music to me! So hopfuly problem solved!

Kel

krose