IGNORED

Article: Grimm Audio MU1 Music Player Review

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks so much @FredM. I'm very grateful your MU1 thread in the forum has provide so much information. Seeing how everyone uses the MU1 and the success they've had is really nice. 

Question: Do you use internal storage?

You’re welcome, and also thanks to the other Grimm MU1 users who also share their MU1 experiences. Together we’re able to help fellow MU1 users, and others who are interested of course. It never hurts to help 🙂

Yes, I use a 2TB SSD, that’s sufficient for my needs. Next to my local albums I just love how Roon Radio suggests tracks/albums, great to discover and enjoy new music! 

6 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Fred,

If one is not interested in upsampling at all and instead prefers to play digital files 'as is'  does the MU1 offer SQ improvements for that use case in comparison to competing solutions?

Hi George, 

With the Grimm MU1 usampling can be set at 0, 2 or 4fs, if you would like to disable upsampling, you can. Then, to quote Chris:

disabling oversampling still enables the listener to take advantage of the MU1's stellar clocking circuit and clean digital audio output to the DAC. What I heard with all music, once I settled on my preferred filter setting, was terrific through the MU1

(upsampling is maxed out at 4fs with a purpose, this enables to also transfer the clock signal from the MU1 to an external DAC via AES)

Switching between upsampling settings on the MU1 can be done on the fly, in the webinterface (1 click) or via the menu on the device. As said, 99% of the users appear to prefer upsampling with the MU1, just set it once (for playback of all genres, albums, tracks, etc). 

I’m afraid I can’t answer how the MU1 in a non-upsample setting would compare with other products, it’s a quite specific test case. The closest I’ve seen are Chris’ findings above, with different upsampling preferences per music (still both with the MU1 as player). Comparing the MU1 in a non-upsampling setting with another product or products even would introduce another variable to the test😬. I think a dealer can help best. I would just simply start with the MU1 out of the box and see if further actions are needed. 

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The fact that my results are different, is kind of nice to me. I feel very different from most other writers. Not better, just different :~)

All feedback and recommendations noted. It's all valuable. Thank you.

Thanks for your responses @The Computer Audiophile 👍 
I guess I’m trying to understand why -per type of music- you seem to prefer different upsampling settings (0fs / 4fs). But fully agree, we just have different findings, all good.

Great that you’ve had the opportunity to experience the MU1. When it arrives back at @Analog Audio of Minnesota it can do its magic and create smiles on a lot faces again 😀, nice to occasionally see new MU1 users in the Grimm MU1 topic.