IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

34 minutes ago, Confused said:

I agree with the sentiment here, although I see this as more of the difference between “science” and engineering.

You can consider engineering and design engineering as the practical application of science. The best engineering will use the best and latest science available, but engineering will need to consider many factors, cost, appearance, schedule of work, availability of materials, available skills, and many more.

Taking the room treatment example. Different approaches will have different performance, cost, appearance and so on. This is the design engineering side of things, the practical application of science, but the science behind what you are doing remains constant. Similarly, the best results within set criteria will tend to be those where the science is best utilised and implemented. You could even have subjective preferences fine tuned by scientific and engineering considerations, keep the bass slightly underdamped for a “fuller” sound, for example.

We like an analogy here. It is a bit like building a bridge over a valley. If you ignore science and the laws of physics, there is a good chance of the bridge will fall down. But with science in place and fully invoked, you could end up with a suspension bridge, a truss bridge, an arch bridge or whatever. The engineering side of things perhaps makes things more varied and interesting, but none of this diminishes the initial importance of science.

Or a car analogy, a Mustang and an Alpine 110 are both high performance cars for similar money, they both use science and the laws of physics in their design, the design engineering aspects vary a little though. That's enough analogies I think.

Excellent posting!!

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

Sorry again, I missed this. My apologies for the repetition, I obviously should have checked to see if this has been posted already. I feel like I am a lightweight here and just way out of my depth. Good luck and thanks for the fish!

Please don't follow your feeling (in that case)

Only a minimal chance for the lower 99% in this forum to know about Chris ancient experiences. Nothing wrong to post that video.

For anybody new here your contribution might be absolutely fine.

Stay tuned @Shadorne

Edit: the objective forum didn't exist back then ...