IGNORED

Smart TV & Sound

freesteve

Question

I recognize that the cable networks, Spectrum et. al.  compress sound and it is uniquely muddled and very difficult to understand even at high volume.  . Is there  a fix to get the sound more natural and detailed, especially the vocals ?  Thanks in advance.  

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

4 answers to this question

On 9/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, freesteve said:

I recognize that the cable networks, Spectrum et. al.  compress sound and it is uniquely muddled and very difficult to understand even at high volume.  . Is there  a fix to get the sound more natural and detailed, especially the vocals ?  Thanks in advance.  

Sound takes up far less bandwidth than video… if your video is good the issue is more likely your audio solution. TV speakers are often no longer adequate, and the thinner wide screen design means poorer placement, closer to the wall. Sound bars are the most common answer or a multichannel AVR + speakers 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Thanks for the clarification, however the muddled sound is present in my office set up which is audiophile

; at this location the muddled sound "comes and goes," and never an issue when I stream movies or play HQDVD's."  Spectrum is my cable provider.

Thanks again for your response.n

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

On 9/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, freesteve said:

Thanks for the clarification, however the muddled sound is present in my office set up which is audiophile

; at this location the muddled sound "comes and goes," and never an issue when I stream movies or play HQDVD's."  Spectrum is my cable provider.

Thanks again for your response.n

So a question. What are you relying on for the digital signal to your system when watching video?  I've found that the "comes with" audio outputs  of devices

like Roku, Xfinity set top boxes, blue ray players are pretty blahh, unreliable for SQ. What I use to solve this is feed source HDMI to an Oppo 103 on its HDMI

input, use its  HDMI output for TV monitor and either coax or RCA outputs to audio system. Not sure who makes good units now that Oppo

has stopped manufacture but I can attest that having a device which does a good job taking HDMI audio data and turning it to audio output is important.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On my system @ office I am using optical out to pre-amp.  Preamp  hard wired to speakers, either amped Focal or ATC.  Switched pre amps and no sound improvement.  Again, thanks for your suggestions.