IGNORED

BitPerfect on Big Sur?

Hi all,

I recently purchased BitPerfect, but am unable to get it to work on my MacBook Pro running Apple Music on Big Sur. The MacBook is connect to a Beresford TC7510 via Toslink.

The software does not seem to go into hog mode, no green icon, no changes in the MIDI settings. 

Since I got no response from BitPerfect support (and this forum is lacking a search function) I'm asking you, dear readers, what am I doing wrong? Does it need a USB DAC? Or what am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Thanks for your reply Marco. I somehow was under the naive impression that BitPerfect would optimize the toslink signal and help realize a 'distraction free' output. 

Before starting on this journey I thought that toslink out would be exactly the same signal as it was being fed by the music used...

Would it theoretically be impossible for a program like BitPerfect to detect a digital output is being used and hence adjust the MIDI/Audio settings accordingly to the bitrate of the music being played? All with a max output defined in the programs preferences.

Does this make sense?

Hi Bob,

my Mac mini doesn't have Toslink output so I can't test it.

I just tried, though, with different audio outputs and different audio tracks (different sample rates): internal speakers, USB DACs, Thunderbolt Hub (carrying an optical and headphones output).

With all of them BitPerfect changed the sample rate automatically (checked in Audio MIDI Setup).

Basically, contrary to what I thought, it works even without a USB DAC. It makes sense: after all the Exclusive (Hog) Mode operates on macOS Audio Core level.

Hence, it should work even with your setup. Do you have any other device accepting Toslink inputs to check?

1 hour ago, Marco Klobas said:

I just tried, though, with different audio outputs and different audio tracks (different sample rates): internal speakers, USB DACs, Thunderbolt Hub (carrying an optical and headphones output).

Interesting that BP even works using internal speakers... that would indeed suggest my setup would be fine. What OS version are you using? I'm running MacOS 11.6.6. 

I would be able to do some tests on an iMac running High Sierra... but that would take some effort (in storage right now). 

Also the BP icon seems tilted upwards in relation to other program icons. And there is some kind of star thingy in the upper left corner of the icon. The developer hasn't reacted for over a week now, so I'm kind of stuck.

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-02 om 18.13.47.png

Yes, the icon changes the color according to the track's sample rate.

I use Apple Music.

The fact that it doesn't work even with the internal speakers sounds strange.

For what is worth: I have BitPerfect.app -> Music.app checked in System Preferences -> Security&Privacy -> Automation.

Thanks again Marco,

I guess our conditions are the same, presuming Monterey is 'just' an iteration of Big Sur. BP is also checked in the automation settings. I guess I'll wait for the developer to get back from holiday :)

I'll keep you posted on further developments.

Have a good one!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @BeBobalula.

I fixed myself the misaligned icon. If you're interested here's how to do:

• Quit BitPerfect.app
  • Go to /Applications/BitPerfect.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/ (right click on BitPrefect.app, choose Show Package Contents and follow the path)
  • Copy somewhere (as a backup) the contained original font BPStatusIcon.ttf
  • Delete the font BPStatusIcon.ttf (the user's password will be asked)
  • Replace it with this font I modified (again, the user's password will be asked)
  • Restart BitPerfect.app

The font should appear aligned in the menu bar.