IGNORED

Gustard R26 new R2R DAC

On 11/7/2022 at 3:28 AM, davide256 said:

Do let us know how it compares to your Hugo 2. 🙂

I've been mainly comparing it to the Audio-gd R-27HE. It's a very "clean" sounding DAC. The network input seems to be the go for best sound if not using i2s.  I wish it had the NAA daemon installed -- maybe I can hack it in? It's definitely a good candidate for HQPlayer PCM up-sampling.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
14 hours ago, botrytis said:

Bit perfect playback prevents the volume control from being used on an R-26, whether it be FALC or DSD files.

I found what it was I was thinking of -- the -30dB attenuator setting, about which the manual states: 

When there is no independent pre-amp, the DAC is directly connected to high gain amplifier or high-gain active speakers, so it is very likely that a large digital volume attenuation (for example, -40dB) will be used to listen to music at a proper volume, which will bring big impact to the sound quality. This function is designed for this kind of application. When this feature is on, a very good analog attenuator provides a gain of - 30dB. For a global gain of -40 dB, only -10 dB digital attenuation is required when using this function. That provides a much better DNR performance.

So my mistake there.