IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

Hi all,

Via Volumio…I was trying an extender (as client) to use an Ethernet cable to see if anything changed/improved sound quality. In the process, found myself needing to do a factor reset. Everything working, but now my Mercury won’t recognize my usb flash drive when installed. Checked it on my laptop and all the music files are there, but whenever in either of the usb slots on the Mercury, nada…says no items. 

Going through the sources menus, nothing there to indicate usb drive as an option. Just NAS or internal. 

it does show usb as an option under music library, but nothing shows when I hit the usb icon. 

Pardon my noobiness, but what the hell is going on? 

Was just fine before the reset. 

• 2 months later...

Ah…well, I stand corrected. Looks great as long as any variety of these choices will work well/conveniently on a phone. 
My concern is that it would likely take me considerable dedicated time to figure out and properly implement this. Not to mention the endless problem solving that will likely be required by a non coder layman like myself. 

Part  of me wants to jump in, the rest of me wants to run in terror. Not saying it isn’t interesting? I might get it started this summer. It’s just that I’ve got enough on my plate and life is short!  I’ll stop now so the topic can move forward 🙏🏼

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Please forgive the side note intrusion…

But I’ve been meaning to ask to anyone here which lps options have been good for you? I’ve been considering a 12v lps from LHY, which Denafrips recommends as a quality and affordable choice. 

This one…

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lps25va

or this one…

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lps80va

Or should go for something else? 

Thank you 🙏🏼 

3 hours ago, Powerman said:

got my Fiio yesterday... I actually think it's better. I'm reluctant to say stuff like that. I'm fine without night and day difference, I sort of trust sum of all parts. But I think it's cleaned stuff up. Now... I can't A/B. Changing cords is fast enough, but then mercury has to boot up. So... Couple minutes. But for $124...it didn't break the bank. (Normally $150,the seller on eBay $120l

Thank you for this, and that’s great news to me! Seems worth it. I’m with you on the incremental approach to power components. But if it adds up to overall improvement , I’m all about it. 

really appreciate your help! 

🙏🏼

1 hour ago, Powerman said:

was discussed in the thread over at the other place. What I meant was the one you posted is probably same/just as good. The Fiio is ordered from over seas everywhere I looked. I don't typically care for doing stuff on ebay, but like doing stuff on aliexpress even less. There were no options for voltage but it is the 12-15 version we need. That might be over now? Born for music.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165727304353

Lol…

I just purchased that exact one (same seller). Went ahead and got it, since you gave it a thumbs up. Such a reasonable price it’s worth trying. Plus wanted to save a little and get a decent conditioner for front end components as wel, so it’s really perfect as part of an overall system improvement. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to quickly confirm something regarding the Mercury version 1 I2s output pin configuration (vers 1 is not adjustable). Some have said that Gustard dacs work out of the box with the version 1 settings, have have since seen elsewhere that others have had to change the version 2 pinout to match the Gustard r26. 

In other words:

Is the Gustard r26 different? And/or are the Mercury version 1 and version two both (still) default set to PS Audio standard? 

I’m in hopes of purchasing the R26 to be able to use the I2s input out of my version 1 Mercury if possible.

Thanks so much ahead of time! 🙏🏼

• 1 month later...

I know this has moved on a bit, but thought I'd provide my experiences so far...

The Fiio 12v/15v Linear PSU did make some improvements on my Mercury, presentation is darker in background and deeper in my system. Went back and forth with the Meanwell. There are some different things I like about the Meanwell, seems to offer a bit more punch? midrange presents differently. But not as deep or nuanced in stage and presentation.  I don't want to believe there is a difference, but there certainly is. Tried momentary listening between the two, and then leaving each one in for a few days at a time (respectively). With recent changes to my system, I've been sticking with the Fiio LPS. 

But if I were forced to use the Meanwell, I'd probably not care and move on to some other neurotic pursuit! 

Just the same...

As I am a hopeless tweaker, looking at getting a better DC cord than the one that's supplied with the Fiio:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/products/dc22?VariantsId=14255,14231,14248

Better power cords with quality terminations and shielding can also make a difference everywhere (and especially the front end). 

Hope this helps!