IGNORED

New Zeppelin

I have a Zeppelin in my bedroom with an Apple TV2 plugged into it. I was just looking at the B&W propaganda for the new airplay version, and it sounds like they are actually making it better:

In the digital world, the Digital to Analogue Converters (DAC) are vital for getting the best from high-quality drive units. On Zeppelin Air all inputs are up-sampled through the audiophile-quality 96kHz/24bit DAC, including wireless music using AirPlay®. This has the effect of lowering distortion, creating a smoother sound. There’s also the option for studio quality 24bit audio via the optical input.

Although I don't think you can stream 96kHz/24bit, it is nice to know you can pump it in with photons.

• 5 months later...

Our engineers had a terrible audio system and wanted a better one.

I bought an Air on the spur of the moment when I saw it at an Apple store, right before heading out to vacation.

And, I figured, I should audition it before handing it over. So I took it on vacation with me!

I was *blown away* by the sound. I understand it *does* stream 96/24 as well, thought it's unclear to me how that's selected. Perhaps it's always 96/24?

In any case, the Zeppelin Air is, in my opinion, the best $600 audio value I've ever seen. Portable, wireless audiophile bliss. :-)

Shunyata Power -> 2011 Mac Mini -> OYAIDE NEO d+ FireWire -> Weiss DAC 202 -> Dual Mono McIntosh 2102 -> 2x Double Shotgun Clear Day Cables -> B&W 803D

• 2 months later...

Understand the older non airplay model had a mini TOS in, does this model also have optical in, or is the 3.5mm strictly analogue ?

Have an Apple TV2 feeding into my TV - but of course the speakers are quite crappy. Apple Shop in Singapore is selling both full size Zeppelin & Mini Zeppelin through at double the US price. ( which seems to be set by the distributor here in Singapore).

Have a cheap optical to rca DAC on order - FiiO D3 ($42 sng), so its not a biggie either way. (Was also considering Audioengine A2s or A5s)

Edit: reads the opening message a bit more closely - optical in - so this is confirmed ?????

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

"Understand the older non airplay model had a mini TOS in, does this model also have optical in, or is the 3.5mm strictly analogue?"

I have the older non Airplay Zeppelin - the input is a dual function mini TOS digital combined with analogue mini-jack. Works very well with the similar mini TOS output of an airport express, as well as my TV's optical output. Sound quality is very good with a digital input - even better than with analogue.

Unfortunately I'm not able to confirm if the dac in the older Zep upsamples to 96 (as with tne new one) or the maximum bit rate it will accept.

I had a brief audition of the new NAD VISO 1 iPod Music System and was impressed. Don't know how it compares to the Zep though.

Tom

tomE[br]Bryston BDP-1, Bryston BDA-1, Oppo BDP-95, Rogue Audio Sphinx, Montor Audio Silver RX8s. [br]Analog: LP12, Alphason HR100S, Benz Micro LO04 and Rogue audio Triton phono pre

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...