IGNORED

T+A A 200 Power Amplifier

6 hours ago, OE333 said:

Currently we are discussing internally if a 400W RMS (into 4Ohms)  mono version would make sense.

So thank you very much for sharing your thoughts - highly appreciated.

Great.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just now, 57gold said:

barrows, I'm guessing you have read about the new Purifi 1ET7040SA: 500 watts into 4 ohms and ~40 amps current delivery.  An amp based upon this board is probably what you seek.  A bridged version of the lower powered Purifi unit will not increase current capability, the new board with the appropriate power supply will.  It can deliver 950 watts into 2 ohms, whereas the lower powered one kind of peters out into a 2 ohm load.  

A couple of companies are developing products with the Purifi 1ET7040SA.  Plan on trying one to drive my current hungry Aerial 10Ts.

Yes, and I plan to watch the development closely.  After DIYing amps with both Hypex (nCore) and now Purifi modules.  I have learned that the input stage is mostly what defines the overall sound of an amplifier using these modules, as the Purifi  circuit is basically as close to a "straight wire with gain" as exists.  Now I am not a capable analog circuit designer myself, lacking the experience to design such a circuit.  I have been waiting for a really superb option for an input stage to arrive in the DIY world, from one of the very clever folks, but so far nothing available for DIY has really impressed me.  OTOH, I know both from hearing some T+A components, and having a degree of understanding of T+A's design approach, that their HV analog stages are "special" in comparison to the approaches used by many others.  Hence my interest specifically in how T+A is integrating their approach with the Purifi modules.

For example, I have worked with a high voltage (+38V, -38V) rail discrete analog output (I/V) stage in a DIY DAC I have, and always noticed something special about the sound.  Back when I worked at PS Audio, they also had an approach of running discrete analog stages at much higher than "usual" voltages-some engineers at PS Audio suggested that one of the sonic advantages of tubes is likely not that they are tubes, but that they run at high voltages for even small signals.  I find even pushing the rail voltage for IC opamps improves the sound. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio