IGNORED

Coax in Office - How to Get Wired Connection to Desktop?

@Jud

When you says ethernet over coax, does that mean your ISP is using Docsis 3 or 3.1 ?  
Or is your intention just to use coax internally in your home as transportation of ethernet like WiFi and a home plug. I don’t think so as you already mentioned it as a not possible option. 

18 hours ago, Jud said:

Now the business account is done, but the office coax connection is still "live" and can be used with the residential account, *if* I can figure out how to connect from the office coax to my desktop PC.

Can you draw a diagram of your network?

18 hours ago, Jud said:

I had a residential internet account through a living room coax connection and modem, and a business internet account through a coax connection and modem in the office - two separate modems.

So there is two available ISP separate available coax outside your house ?

18 hours ago, Jud said:

So is there anything that I can use to make a wired connection from the coax ISP outlet in the office to my PC?

Is this the same as asking “How can I reuse TV cables in my house for networking?

I guess the the mentioned MoCA is the only answer. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

And it can do more speed than your 1,2 GB your ISP is delivering to you.

https://www.amazon.com/MoCA-2-5-Gigabit-Ethernet-Ports/dp/B07Z3SB1HH

Is the intention to create a wired backhaul for your mesh maybe ?

https://nerdtechy.com/best-moca-adapter

https://worldwidesupply.net/blog/moca-adapters-beginners-guide/

You have just made me thinking that I can use this technology to create a separate network for audio. Using my old unused TV coax. 😀

11 hours ago, Jud said:

Thanks - I'm terrible at the diagramming stuff, sorry.  (Though software suggestions for doing it are welcome.)

Pen and paper. Attach pictures taken with your phone.

If you have an iPad: Lekh Diagram

11 hours ago, Jud said:

So now all I need is another relatively inexpensive optical-to-Ethernet converter and an SFP and I'm good!

How do you know that fiber is active, and what type ?

The suggest $99 Mikrotik ought to be a better solution. 

11 hours ago, Jud said:

The problem with using MoCA is that it operates on a different frequency than DOCSIS

I don’t think you can have coax out from your modem. My understanding is MoCA requires 2 boxes (or more ) and the coax isn’t connected to anything else than the MoCA’s. 

11 hours ago, Jud said:

the ISP has told me that it is available to be used for the residential account.

If so, it has the be the same coax. Can you have your ISP explain how this is utilized? Maybe a second modem ?  It should, as a test, be possible to move your present modem to that other outlet, and have internet available. Agree ?

If so, the use of MoCA probably requires you do disconnect coax somewhere close to present location of modem, and you may need to add / move the end of line resistor in your coax network in addition.

Let’s know if the discovery of fiber will have a successful outcome. 

52 minutes ago, Jud said:

This is likely because the converters have SFP slots, while the Mikrotik uses SFP+.

That should not be an issue. Are you using same SFP modules both places?

Also, can you test the fiber line with converters only ?

Have you open the web interface of the Mikrotik and verified that the SFP module(s) is present ?

Your drawing shows two separate fiber lines from the garage. Is that correct ?

And if so, how do you know which one goes where ?

1 hour ago, Jud said:

The web interface on the PC also does not connect. However, the green light under the E on the Mikrotik is lit, so I believe it is getting the Ethernet connection from the router.

I'm quite sure you don’t have a working connection. 
If your Mikrotik isn’t showing on your DHCP, something is wrong with cabling. The Mikrotik must have an IP address. You need to find it. Also I suggest you’re setting fixed IP addresses for the Mikrotik switches in your DHCP server. And name them if possible in the DHCP server, but I think name will show up automatically, based on setting (identity) as shown in picture below. 

First you must make sure the Mikrotik in garage does have a connection to internet. Do you find it’s IP address ? Is it working when you type IP address into your browser?  If yes, then you can start connecting fiber. (And find second Mikrotik IP address). 

C984FD22-DDA5-4E73-96B1-829D358E5805.thumb.jpeg.c471845ba40592d4ce381b76922397a9.jpeg

This setting allow your DHCP to assign IP address to the switch. 
I expect your DHCP can set a fixed IP address. 

If you have 8 fiber runs, you ought to be very lucky 😀

Wouldn't it then be best to at least have a 8 port SFF+ swich, and maybe have that one take over any DHCH. I’m thinking having DHCP in a 1 GB router in a 10 GB network may not be optimal. Not that I think it matters much. 

Can you post a picture of your junction box ?

BTW; my Mikrotik app isn’t working either. 

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I think it's best to have the mesh routers coordinate to assign IP addresses and handle DHCP

Unless you have done so by intention, you only have one router that acts as a one single DHCP server.

So I expect the Asus XT8 “master”, is the one in your garage.

Page 66 chapter 4.2.3.

The AIMesh is exactly the same when set up as wireless router mode vs Access Point. (Page 84, ch.4.6). 

I agree no need to use AP mode now. (Which is the option if the DHCP was somewhere else).

You said in another post you may like a third WiFi 6 “router”. 
You can use any of the one listed here, and they should integrate nice into your present AIMesh network. 
So it doesn’t have to be an expensive XT8. (I’m using 4 Asus routers. Bought cheap second hand).