IGNORED

Problem with Roon and Node 2i

Ron T

16 minutes ago, Ron T said:

I wonder if I should make the Bluesound Lan again. It plays stable wireless. 

I, as many others, prefer cable. It’s your choice. 

It’s an interesting path you have chosen. I didn’t think it was possible. Wireless to Blusound and back again to MAC and usb out. Wonder how bypassing Bluesound then will sound, having Roon do the first unfold. 

I would do RCA from Bluesound to DAC, but it may not sound better. You to decide. Some DAC has very good USB. Other not. 
Quite often it’s preferred not to have usb directly from PC. Endpoint by Ethernet is normally what quite often is best. 

23 minutes ago, Ron T said:

I figured out so far... 👍

I disconnected the lan cable from the Bluesound and did a hard reset. Then I removed it from Roon and started Roon again in the Mac computer.

I've made the Bluesound wireless and put it back again in Roon and it's playing for some time wireless with Roon. 

So, now Roon is playing from the Core on the Mac, which is connected with usb to my non MQA DAC. 

Roon is streaming to the Bluesound and unfolds the MQA tracks.

The Bluesound is coax digital connected to my second DAC and that DAC is with good Audioquest analogue connected to my pre-amplifier. 

I wonder if I should make the Bluesound Lan again. It plays stable wireless. 

Huh. Super interesting. I wonder:

1) when your Node 2i is on Wireless, whether your router puts it on a higher priority and allows MacMini Roon to communicate with it more consistently than when you had it on wired where your router might have been blocking/reducing the traffic 

2) if one of your network switches connected to the Node 2i is de-prioritizing (less likely) or blocking/reducing communications between the MacMini Roon to the Node 2i.

If your home wi-fi is super stable (which actually isn't super difficult to do if you know what you're doing as it's mostly about avoiding neighbors' Wi-Fi interference), you can always leave your Bluesound on Wi-Fi. That said, I too, like @R1200CL, usually prefer wired. But if it's such a hassle to troubleshoot the underlying network problem, maybe sticking to the stable wireless Node 2i is the better way to go? One last possibility is that when you plug the Node 2i back into the network, maybe this time it won't be de-prioritized. It's always possible that the hard reset of the Node 2i fixed the problem.

3 hours ago, Ron T said:

Roon is streaming to the Bluesound and unfolds the MQA tracks.

The Bluesound is coax digital connected to my second DAC and that DAC is with good Audioquest analogue connected to my pre-amplifier. 

20210823_165230.jpg

I don't want to burst any bubbles of satisfaction and happiness but fully decoded MQA cannot be output to a digital output.  It is only available via analog.

See this link.

So, your non MQA DAC can only be receiving an unfolded MQA stream.

I suspect it would be 'better' to let Roon perform the first unfold to your non MQA DAC and remove the Node.

@ecwl 

And others

It was you who set me on the path of the internet connections of the Mac and the Bluesound.

So you therefor I decided to check the router, removed the switch for another one, looked again at the internet settings and so step by step I came to the decision to do a hard reset of the Node 2i and to install the wireless modus. I think it was a wrong setting of bluesound or a switch problem.

Later this evening I put a cat 6 cable into the Bluesound and now it is playing hours stabile.

@alandbush

The BS is a MQA DAC and unfold the MQA code. Then it sends it to my 24/192 dac which brings the music to my hifi set. 

I as well my wife and daughter heard the difference between the Bluesound mqa DAC and the Bluesound DAC in combination with the other DAC. 

Perhaps it is all I want to believe and between my ears. But allright, music is at most a emotional experience. 

Thanks for all your advices. You all were a great help for me! 

Ron

Living in the Netherlands🇪🇬

20210823_223339.jpg