IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

OK, as a Roon + HQPlayer user, I have questions. I utilize convolution filters generated by @mitchco via Roon. This allows me to apply those filters to Qobuz streaming content, which nowadays is about 95% of what I listen to. 

(1) How do I use my existing convolution filters, created for use with Roon, in HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

(2) How do a I listen to Qobuz streaming through HQPlayer without utilizing Roon?

I want to offer thanks to everyone here who helped me move my convolution filters to HQPlayer from Roon and also to get my local library playing through HQPlayer rather than Roon. The SQ improvements from each of these changes were significant. The first, because it freed up processing time in my server's CPU to allow me to access the more refined sound of poly-sinc-ext3 even with high sample rate files. The second - and much more important - because playing the same file through HQPlayer rather than Roon simply opens up the sound dramatically and in ways I didn't think possible. The same file played via Roon sounds dark and constrained and condensed and with a collapsed soundstage as compared to playback via HQPlayer. So, while I have been a vocal advocate for Roon, and still see its value as a tool for exploration of new music as well as powering the little mono speakers that reside throughout my home on my network, I am going to have to say that serious listening might have to exclude the use of Roon and instead focus on listening to downloaded files via HQPlayer.

20 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I wish there was a logical explanation to this. After all the file is transferred over network to an endpoint, right? 
And we are talking about Roon + HQplayer vs only HQplayer ? So it applies to local content only ?

I must check out this HQPDcontrol v4. I hope I can use it against my HQplayer installed on my Sonictransporter.

I don't get it, either, but the difference is readily apparent. And if I have any bias, it would be AGAINST this result. I would greatly prefer the convenience of using Roon as my one and only playback application. If the SQ improvement of removing Roon from the equation for local files weren't so compelling, I wouldn't bother with the added complication of a second app on my phone, that's for sure. I am inherently lazy. But this improvement is worth the effort to me.  

To answer your specific questions:

1. Yes, the file is transferred over network to the endpoint, specifically via optical fiber from sonicTransporter to opticalRendu, which appears to HQPlayer as an NAA.

2. Yes, we are talking about a comparison of Roon+HQPlayer vs. HQPlayer alone, with respect to my local audio files. I anxiously await Chris's article explaining a method for streaming Qobuz directly through HQPlayer without involving Roon, however!
3. Yes, my comments about SQ improvement by going direct to HQPlayer vs. Roon+HQPlayer relate to local content only and not to streaming content ... YET. (See 2., above.)

Finally, you should be able to utilize HQPDcontrol v4 with HQPlayer on your sonicTransporter... that is precisely the configuration I am using now.  

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I do still use Roon for casual listening. I also maintain two separate libraries. One for Roon on an external disk connected to an M1 mini and the HQPlayer library which is inside that machine. I keep them in sync using Forklift on the Mac.

I will probably move toward Roon for casual listening only, which in my case means internet radio and Qobuz via the BlueSound speakers hidden around my house.

I have a lifetime subscription to Roon that long ago paid for itself, and I am perfectly OK with relegating it to "lifestyle product" for listening to over cocktails or while chopping celery in the kitchen.

But I do relish the idea of listening to Qobuz on my main system without Roon.

So. I have been trying to move over to HQPlayer played via HQPDControl v4. It has mostly worked. But the app is simply failing to locate and add files. For example, tonight I purchased Samara Joy's album from Qobuz, and I loaded the files into my music directory on my server (sonicTransporter I9 optical) exactly where all my other local music files are stored. Roon found those files immediately and asked whether I wanted to make this the primary version. All well and good. But shouldn't HQPDcontrol v4 have found these files and added them to its folder for playback? And now that I think about it, there are any number of other albums stored in the directory that I told HQODcontrol to monitor that are nowhere to be seen. What's up?

I guess I do  not know. I converted all my ALAC files to FLAC in order to get them to work with HQPlayer. Now I feel like I did myself a terrible disfavor. I think I might have destroyed much of my metadata in that conversion using dbPoweramp.  But you know what? I really don't care. This is a hobby. No lives depend on the results of how I sort my digital music library. Thanks to all of you who have att3mpted to help me. I really should have made a backup file before batch conversion of my music files. This one is on me

I really can’t say. Not a satisfying answer, I am sure, but I have relied on Roon for the past five or so years, which pulls in its own metadata from online sources. I really can’t say today what metadata I encoded with those files, the vast majority of which are five to ten years old and predate my use of Roon.

To answer the question with certainty would require me to pull together the old ALAC backups and review the metadata to compare to the metadata on the files after they got converted to FLAC by dbPoweramp.

What I can say without further analysis is that album art has disappeared from many of the albums when sorted via HQPlayer Linux embedded’s in-browser player and on the HQPDControl iOS app. There could be other reasons for this than stripping of metadata.

My many-years’ dependence upon Roon as a source for metadata is a huge confounding factor here. I am just sort of accepting the situation for the time being at least, because I can still see and play albums from the list view in the iOS app (under the “Dirs” tab).