IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am not alone in considering Roon's SQ to be sub par, and when I want to listen for anything other than convenience I turn Roon off and use other players, specifically HQPlayer. Perhaps the question you need to ask yourself is, why don't I hear the difference?

edit: It doesn't take mega dollars to hear the differences either, in my opinion. I can hear it clear as day with a raspberry Pi4 into a Schiit Modi multibit.

?

Roon does player interface great but endpoint USB out is mediocre

HQPlayer does endpoint USB out great but player interface is a la late 1990's...  1 step removed from DOS, kissing cousin to Foobar2000

Takes these two half's to make a whole.... I don't like using either by itself.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Do you want convenience or sound quality...

I also use the two together, however I also find that HQPlayer sounds even better when not using Roon at all.

You just don't have enough PC's. thats all 🤪

But seriously, I am wondering if you run Roon on separate machine  from HQPlayer PC or have tried it? Can't tell where Roon resides

from your profile

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Can someone please explain what is the late 90's part in HQPlayer GUI? I've tried to make it pretty modern with transition animations and everything...

Remember Windows 3.1... thats what the HQPlayer GUI feels like to me, menus boxes with text, no object oriented GUI representation. JRiver and Roon have it nailed

for library display with album cover grids, filter/sort order choice and metadata search. The only time you see a path box is when adding a new library location, otherwise

you are just scroll/paging through  library album objects  or a library search result to find what you want to play. HQPlayer embedded seems worse, you have

to know the qualified linux path, you don't get a directory hierarchy screen to help you discover the library path.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

The interface is fine. It does what it needs to do and gets out of the way of the real purpose, playing music.

hmm, I'm now realizing that Miska actually has a separate client interface included with the desktop player install ... there is very little said about it to call it

to your attention with trial download. So I withdraw what I said  since the client interface does add graphical representation, want to try it with

existing HQPlayer embedded device. Does work with the windows desktop trial install

@Miska  how does one add a NAS music directory in HQPlayer embedded?  \\{NAS ip address}\music gives a success result but no albums display

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 hours ago, Miska said:

On HQPlayer OS, you have a link at bottom "NetworkShares" which appears under mount point "/smb" which you can scan for on "Library" page (should appear on the drop-list). On other OS it depends on the OS / device manufacturer.

Graphical player interface is separated completely from the server on HQPlayer v4, on purpose. HQPlayer Desktop server process GUI is as minimal as possible on purpose without eye candy to keep GPU and other graphics processing at minimum possible level. HQPlayer Embedded of course skips this GUI part completely and provides just a minimal web interface.

This is explained on the HQPlayer v4 quick start guide:

https://www.signalyst.com/quickstart.html

Thanks! I've opened a ticket with Euphony support, will see if this can be made to work.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, Outlaw said:

Been with Roon for 6 years.Have 8 days left on my yearly membership and won't renew.

BTDT. Missed the added library info so I came back. And the preset EQ's for my Audeze headphones are a nice touch.

Plus Its nice to be able to use my PC for other things while I play music, can't do that with my preferred Euphony Stylus server

Oh  and it plays to my iPhone. etc, etc. Hard to feel incarcerated when one can switch between Stylus, HQPlayer, Roon or LMS

at a whim.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Can one reason be that the numbers of users and possible hw options is just so much bigger with Roon ?

Criticality and priory may be other reasons. It seems some bugs getting fixed rather quickly. 

Roon is a mass market product, aurender and lumin are not. Support for a mass market product is rarely individual, usually focused on issues with the most number of users complaining. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 1:46 PM, musicjunkie917 said:

No. It's the hardware making the noise. It's called software for a reason. You can run the exact same software doing the same exact thing on two different hardware platforms and get drastically different noise profiles. It's the hardware......

That's like saying that you can't make a performance difference in a car engine with superior control software optimization...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system