IGNORED

Article: Apple Music Lossless, High Resolution, and Dolby Atmos Announced

Agree, Apple is usually tight lipped with press releases or even keynotes. Consequently a flood of speculations and questions arise around the web.

With this Apple Music update (very welcome upgrade, BTW) I see already questions about AirPods/HomePod/AppleTV compatibility, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2 etc.

Quite a few things to understand how hi-res will be handled.

Will Airplay 2 be updated to support up to 192 kHz? Technically it's feasible (it's a WiFi/Ethernet protocol after all – bandwidth isn't a problem). Is to be seen if Apple is interested...

Actually, even AirPlay 1 cloud be pushed to 192 kHz if only Apple would be interested.

Who knows, maybe at the upcoming WWDC there will be some news for AirPlay.

Many streamers implement AirPlay through Shairport-Sync, which is an AirPlay 1 only reverse engineering project. No AirPlay 2 on the horizon.

The Mac-DAC link (via USB or whatever) and its sampling rate managed by Audio MIDI Setup, as @The Computer Audiophile pointed out, is another issue.

Let's wait a few weeks and hope that Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless will somehow fit for audiophiles.

The press update is quite clarifying for the average Apple user.

They probably noticed the speculations and the buzz spreading on internet. 🙂

For the audiophile niche there're still a few things to understand about how to benefit the hi-res stuff.

It seems that lossless hi-res will be "limited" to the Mac/iPhone/iPad -> DAC solution only. I was (and still am) hoping for a Wi-Fi solution (AirPlay).

It means that Apple Music subscribers can download locally DRM lossless tracks. Not buy them or convert the already bought songs from AAC to ALAC.

If you already have some Apple Music's tracks downloaded (again, AAC, DRM, for off line listening) you can delete them and download again in lossless ALAC.

I think that we agree that this Apple Music lossless/hi-res launch is choppy.

That said, it's interesting to observe the attention this audio topic has grabbed, though. I mean, among regular users, not audiophiles.

Granted, a lot of them enthusiastically jumped on this lossless bandwagon without knowing exactly what all this is about.

Funny enough, they discovered that they can't enjoy this audio bliss because current casual Apple devices aren't fully compatible.

Questions about new headphones and DACs are already popping out. Their wallets surely won't be lossless... 🙂