IGNORED

Denafrips DACs might not actually be NOS?

53 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

I don’t see how this is off topic, providing requested analysis to graphs in the thread?

your friendly neighbourhood idiot

Seems to me that would be a discussion between tester (Stereophile) and Denafrips. Playing whack-a-mole in copy cat forum discussions isn't

scalable for any manufacturers resources. Hopefully the points raised here also make it to the Stereophile article comments... where they are also likely

to raise questions with other like reviewers considering future Denafrips reviews

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 minutes ago, semente said:

I thought that the tester was the OP @GoldenOne. From my understanding JA only chimed in later, although he was also a tester.

The OP is a Youtube audio reviewer with 12K subscribers... they have a venue thats more suited to attract a manufacturers attention. There is also a review of the Pontus on this site... comments there are more likely to get a response as prospective purchasers will be affected. A random forum discussion... not  likely to get a response

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

What is the expected bad behavior of linear interpolation at the limits/singularity's and do we see that here with Denafrips?

Or does it diverge at these points implying some kind of modified algorithm for interpolation?

Does sound like Denafrips NOS mode would yield unpredictable results with oversampling programs built on true NOS mode behavior.

Any HQPlayer users experiencing an issue?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

53 minutes ago, semente said:

You need to cut down on the koolaid, the additional processing results in a more accurate reproduction of the signal.

Everything has a cost. Simple oversampling is like blowing up a balloon with a small imprinted image into a larger balloon... the image is easier to resolve but so are

the imperfections in the image. Predictive oversampling can do better but sometimes introduces artifacts of its own. PGGB is an interesting concept because media

is already  converted/stored, allowing you to avoid conversion activity artifacts during playback in a 1 box  USB out solution

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things I'm hearing with the Ares II on USB input is that there is a treble filter like effect inversely related to sample rate... CD rate sounds rolled off but as you increase

native sample rate the perceived treble response become more linear. Very noticeable on instruments like cymbals

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

46 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

@davide256 -are you using NOS mode? If so, are you feeding it straight 44.1k?

The thinking so far is that the linear interpolate it appears to be doing would give you exactly that ( 6dB of attenuation at 20k for 44.1k )

your friendly neighbourhood idiot 

Yes to NOS mode. Don’t want more oversampling added to HQPlayer or PGGB files. This would also explain why my Linn Genki CDP sounds rolled off in the treble through coax

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

21 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

So with #2, it seems that it's not always increasing.
In fact this run I started at about 156ms, and it has slowly decreased to 153ms over a few hrs.

So it seems that it changes one way or the other but isn't always increasing.

I've been told that DAVE does liner interpolation before final D/A conversion. Any Chord DAC's in house to do a delay comparison with?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

25 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Linear interpolation isn't what's causing the delay. The oversampling filter is a different thing.

I have a chord mojo here atm though, that gets 25ms delay on SPDIF

So linear interpolation may be causing ~ 20 ms of delay + another piece is adding variable delay, some kind of predictive algorithm added processing?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...