IGNORED

Article: Cloud Music Library Backup

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have versioned backups on my NAS, and those are backed up to an identical off-site NAS. Would bit-rot become evident when in the course of snapshotting, files that I have not recently changed start transferring to the NAS as changed files?

If your NAS units are all running simple storage, any corruption on the main NAS will be backed up off-site exactly as read.  If you're using automatic backup software that updates the off-site unit every time the main one changes, corruption will immediately trigger an update of the off-site unit to reflect the change (whether good or bad).  I suspect (but don't know for certain) that if your disks have proper error correction, bit corruption could trigger a remote update but autocorrection would do so again and restore the file to its correct form.  It probably depends on how fast your system is and what triggers the read that detects the error and fixes it.  I've never seen data on these processes, so I can't speculate on how reliable they are.

A simple RAID mirror will also see corrupt bits as a change and make the same change in the mirror disc.  As I recall, only RAID 6 will protect against "rebuilding" a good drive with corrupt data from the affected one.  But there are a few basics to keep in mind:

First, data decay is not very likely in the relatively small HDDS used for home NAS until they start closing in on their end of life.  Use SMART data to check on your drives, and replace them at the first sign of error correction.  I replace HDDs every 5 years even if they're working because the risk of data decay starts going up as they age.

Second, modern drives and the software that controls them use error correction code to identify flipped bits and remediate data decay.  Your SMART drive monitoring software will show you the rate of corrected errors - if that rate is too high (per the maunfacturer's instructions) or it's going up each time you check it over 3 consecutive times, replace the disk.  You can check your discs with utilities built into your OS or use 3rd party software like CrystalDiskInfo.  Scan your disks regularly and hope for this:

image.png.cd4ed7eadf5626dca43a467705015e20.png

Third, SSDs have a different cause of data decay.  The insulating layer that keeps charged electrons where they belong degrades over time, and the bits flip.  So you need to follow the same replacement schedule for SSDs that you do for HDDs.  They both have finite data integrity periods, but for different reasons.

Fourth, heat accelerates this and most other memory, storage, and performance problems.  Run performance benchmarks every few months to be sure your computer isn't slowing down from undetected problems.  Make sure your computers, NAS units, etc are all in well ventilated spaces with good air flow around them.  Dust is a killer because it educes heat transfer to air - vacuum it all off of and out of everything.  Keep all fans clean and make sure they're functioning properly.  Monitor your drive temps just as you do (or should do) with your CPU and GPU temps. Use monitoring software that will alert you to potential problems.

conky_loading_JRMC_library.jpg.d861240d32a74b6070ef053a5c098764.jpg