IGNORED

Darko spreading misinformation.

4 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

The video is about the usability problems of entry level decks, such as the Rega Planar 2. For instance, the Rega lacks automatic speed changing and you need to move the belt on the pulley to switch from 33 to 45 rpm, it doesn’t have any sort of leveling system, you can’t adjust the vertical tracking angle on the arm, and it doesn’t have a detachable head shell.

For a little more money the Technics fixes these usability problems, although John Darko actually prefers the sound of the Rega/Denon cartridge combo. At no point did he call either of these decks ‘high end’, and so I fail to see what your point is.

He signed off by saying 'if you like my attitude to high end audio, its not always about sound quality but also funtionality and aesthetics'. 

He also scored the Rega 2 nine out of ten.

Any inkling what my point is? 

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

There's nothing wrong in saying that we can choose functionality over SQ. Obviously, having both is preferable. 

As for his ratings, I actually don't follow Darko, but I think his audience is more interested in "mid-range" gear (price wise) - high end is relative. 1000$ equipment is "high end" to a general public. 

Saying he is spreading "misinformation" is a little excessive. If you don't like him, don't waste your time watching his videos :) 

High end audio is not a reletive term. It is reserved for the pinnacle of music reproduction. 

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

GUTB also considers price to be the only indicator of what is, and what isn't, high end enough. In my opinion, it's an attitude guaranteed to drive people away from audiophilia.

You know what the number one thing I hear from people immediately after they tell me that they want better sound?  "I'm not an audiophile or anything." And its because of exactly that attitude. A good friend of mine recently bought a Rega turntable and he was really excited about it. What do you think would have happened if I had come at him with the attitude of, it sucks because it's not expensive enough?

Quite a strange response since I didn't mention price. 

31 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Often it is a term used for a pinnacle in price and not performance.

Very true, on the other hand some people seem to have a problem with all high priced audio gear, a kind of reverse snobbery. 

5 hours ago, Sam Lord said:

How odd, I think he has one the most sensible and responsible approaches I've seen.

Lol, Darko name drops Frank Schroeder fitted the cartridge to his Rega P2, yet Mr Schroeder rightly classes this deck as Entry-level, Darko gives it 9 out of 10. He also pokes fun at the idea there are huge SQ improvements to be had by upgrading. If you've never heard a high end system I guess you might find this comforting. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, etane said:

i guess i would be spreading misinfo too.  my very bestest source is a turntable but ended up selling it along with my LP collection.  i got sick of the maintenance, so functionality matters to me.

Funtionality matters more to some, that is not misinfo. Telling folks that their highly functional mid-fi table is almost as good as a high-end table is misinfo. Unfotunately for Darko he doesn't have the ears to tell the diiference. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, RedSwede said:

It's not misinfo "Telling folks that their highly functional mid-fi table is almost as good as a high-end table is misinfo". It might be better, never mind almost as good, if it allows them to listen to, and enjoy, more music.

"Unfotunately for Darko he doesn't have the ears to tell the diiference". Maybe he's too busy enjoying the music to care about the difference. In which case, it is the antithesis of "unfortunate" - he's the fortunate one who can forget about listening to the gear and listen to the music.

It is all relative.

Ya there is no better, its all relative. What a pathetic way to live your life.