IGNORED

Article: Realism vs Accuracy For Audiophiles | Part 2: The Real Sounds Of Live Music

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Were there also people who did much worse than guessing?

There were.

I found 13 answer sheets, and these were the results:

3/12 correct

4/12

5/12

6/12

6/12

6/12

7/12

7/12

8/12

8/12

9/12       (violinist)

9/12       (violinist)

12/12     (audiophile)

I don't pretend that this goes much beyond "anecdotal" but one other part of the experiment was interesting to me. The subjects were actually presented with two differently randomized series of files, the first encoded as 16-bit FLAC and the second as 145 kbps MP3. My "star"—the audiophile who got 12/12 correct with FLAC—got just 7/12 right with the MP3 trial.

Maybe you remember, Jud, I'd mentioned the idea of an online version of the trial. Originally, my thought was to do this via the TAS website but as the site is no longer "interactive" (a good thing, IMO, given the frequency of childish and totally OT posts) maybe we could do it here, if Chris was on board. Any interest?

Andy

11 hours ago, Jud said:

One other question before deciding whether I'd be up for listening: To the extent possible, are the selections volume matched?

Interesting question. The 30 instruments were recorded one after another over 2 days, using the same recording set-up. When I measure the average level from the listening position for each one minute Sibelius excerpt, mostly they are pretty close—but some are a few dB different. This is to be expected.  Oliveira is playing 30 different instruments and some are "louder" than others: the "size" of the sound is an important characteristic of each individual violin—and why one player might decide to pay 5 million for one Stradivarius but not for another. I think it would be a big mistake to adjust the volume of each violin to the same level - that would be distorting an inherent quality of each instrument.

21 hours ago, CG said:

So, while an appreciation and understanding of why different instruments sound different based on who is playing may be very helpful for some - maybe all - people, I'm not certain that this understanding will help everybody get more out of the home audio systems.  I'm not saying it's not worth trying or that it's not interesting, but I suspect that a lot of people look for different cues in sound in their quest for accuracy and realism that are beyond the details behind the musical performance.  That part's a whole 'nuther story.

I disagree. I know I've said this before, here and elsewhere, but I'll say it again: The audiophile pursuit is "about" that point of intersection between art and technology. I think that's a key take-away of bluesman's series of articles, no matter what your taste in music is.

To elaborate on an example that bluesman mentioned, Berlioz specified that a cornet play the obbligato in the "Valse" movement of Symphonie fantastique, as did Stravinsky for one of the two brass in the ensemble for L'histoire du soldat. Assuming that the conductor has followed the composer's instructions and the player is using the correct instrument (and the recording has been competently engineered and produced) if it sounds like a trumpet, something's wrong with your system. It really is as important to be able to read a score as it is an electronics schematicto fully assess (and enjoy) good audio gear and recordings.

So I'd like to proceed with continuing the experiment I described above. With Chris's help, with a new thread, I'll post three folders of files for interested AS members to listen to—all containing examples of the one-minute Sibelius excerpt played by the violinist Elmar Oliveira. One folder will contain 12 examples, unidentified, played on 12 different Strads or Guarneris in 16/44 resolution; the second will contain the same 12 examples (in a different order) converted to 145 kbps MP3. The third folder will offer six examples of identified Stradivarius and Guarneri instruments—different ones than the ones presented as "unknowns."

Participants can do their own research, but I'll include some expert description of the characteristic sound of the two "brands" of old Italian violins. I'll ask participants to identify each track as "S" or "G" and send me their results as a PM. We'll keep it open for 2 weeks and I'll then present the data. My brother's an academic mathematician and said he'll help me with the basic statistical analysis, though I'm certain that plenty of AS members could assist here, as well.

Hope this get this going by tomorrow morning.

Andy

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Yes, it would (or it might simply be how he played the instrument on the day - he's not a robot).

But loudness variation (even an average of 1dB) creates a big problem. There was a listening test here years ago where a file that had its average level increased 1dB was the runaway winner. And if you look at the stories about blind competitions where carbon fiber violins beat Stradivarii, guess what you find? Loudest wins.

So that's a problem in a blind test.  I don't know what a Strad or a Guarnerius sounds like, so if asked to distinguish, the first thing my ear-brain will fasten on is loudness differences.

I suppose we could try with equalized and non-equalized volume and see what the results are?

I think it would be entirely up to the individual participant whether or not to volume match. Since we're not looking for a "winner" here but differences, leaving those few files that are a little louder or softer as is might actually help with identification.