IGNORED

Daily Blues

too bad Seasick Steve was such a fraud. Sometimes his sound was really raw in a good way, sometimes an empty shell. He fooled a lot of people, including me ( and maybe JPJ).

So, this post was spot on, no problem.  Cigar box variations.  Thanks.

Does it matter that he was a fraud?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/sep/29/seasick-steve-session-musician-ramblin-man-book

something about subjectivity and its significance is involved. I can barely listen to this. What does that mean? I don't care, **** him.

☠️

but he's just a musician trying to get on. Nobody wants to suffer. Everyone wants to be happy. The guy got lost in some kind of unhealthy ambition, maybe.

11 hours ago, Iving said:

Tracing over the years "Going Down" [Don Nix] informative to my brain and ears.

Great post, thanks. Will take time to digest. Just finished sampling around 50 recordings of Hard Times Killing Floor. Skip James Vanguard performance may still be my favorite, but the exploration is a learning process.  Freddie King's Going Down hasn't lost anything over time.  Jeff Beck plays the hell out of it as well. But still am curious about  some of the others.

Masters Of Reality "Ants In The Kitchen" "Goin' Down" (Live At The Viper Room)

Leadbelly, "See See Rider", 1940

"One day, around 1958, I remember hearing something that was unlike anything I'd ever heard before ... The music was demanding, "Listen to me!" ... The song was called "See See Rider," which I already knew from the Chuck Willis cover version. The name of the singer was Lead Belly ... I found an old Folkways record by Lead Belly ... And I listened to it obsessively. Lead Belly's music opened something up for me. If I could have played guitar, really played it, I never would have become a filmmaker."     --- Martin Scorsese

Joe Pullum - Black Gal What Makes Your Head So Hard?  1934

"It sold in large quantities and was covered by Leroy Carr, Skip James, Mary Johnson, Josh White, Bumble Bee Slim, the Harlem Hamfats, Smokey Hogg, Jimmie Gordon, Speckled Red, James Crutchfield and Robert Shaw." 

Just keepin' it daily.

A brief interlude before returning to the devil.

Peetie Wheatstraw, who called himself "The Devil's Son in Law", is considered an important influence on Robert Johnson's lyrics and vocal style. His "Police Station Blues" from 1931 provided a musical basis for Johnson's "Terraplane Blues' (according to Gayle Dean Wardlow, one of the high mucky-mucks of blues history - he's bonafide 😏).

"Most distinctive of all was his strangled semi-falsetto cry 'Ooh, well, well' (with variations) interjected in the break of the third line of a blues verse. According to Teddy Darby, one woman listener exclaimed, 'Good God, why doesn't that man yodel ( 🐮  ) and be done with it?' "

Speak of the devil, here's Robert Johnson, "Hellhound on My Trail", 1937

The rest are covers.

"Hellhound on My Trail" · Fleetwood Mac · Peter Green, 1968

Peter Green Splinter Group w/ Nigel Watson, 2000, from Hot Foot Powder album:

"Hot Foot Powder is Peter Green's second album made up entirely of covers of the music by the legendary Delta bluesman Robert Johnson. In fact, with this album and its predecessor, The Robert Johnson Songbook, Green has recorded every song that Robert Johnson is known to have composed and recorded."

Hellhound On My Trail · Roy Rogers ( not the cowboy 🐮), from the album Blind Pig Presents: Slide, 1989

Chris Whitley - 'Hellhound on My Trail" (live) from 'Hellhounds on my Trail - The Afterlife of Robert Johnson' (recorded 1998, documentary released 2000)

"Hellhound Blues (Hellhound On My Trail)" · John Hammond Jr. from the album At The Crossroads: The Blues Of Robert Johnson, 2003

"Hell Hound On My Trail" · Eric Clapton, from Me and Mr. Johnson, 2004

"Hell Hound on my Trail"- Eric Clapton and Doyle Bramhall ll, from Sessions for Robert J. performance/documentary, 2004

"Hellhound On My Trail",  Larkin Poe, 2020

On 5/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, sphinxsix said:

Evolution of the blues.

Catfish Blues to be exact.

Which dates back to 1920s Mississippi.

Yeah, this is based on 'Catfish Blues':

There is neither Hendrix 'CB' version from his 'Blues' album nor 15 min long 'Vodoo Chile' on mighty Youtube.. I'm very surprised..

..hence 5 live versions of the former song:

..and this (both songs based on 'CB'):

2010's

On 5/6/2021 at 6:54 PM, sphinxsix said:

One more CB.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, sphinxsix said:

Apologies for obsessive posting 9_9 two more CB.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, christopher3393 said:

No worries. Much appreciated.

A little more Gary Clarke Jr. paying tribute to the tradition

Christone "Kingfish" Ingram - Catfish Blues/Hey Joe