IGNORED

Audio "Digititus" inducing music?

My definition of audio digititus

a unique sensation from digital music in the treble region usually associated with irritation from the piece played and listening fatigue even with

favorite pieces. A subtle "thats not right" (see Galaxy Quest for context) feeling during playback that can cause one to flee to other pieces

I am curious if others have observed as I have that particular pieces, recordings excite audio digititus in their system. When I first became a CA/AS

member, it was the bane of much of what I played. Over the years following member experiments and postings have really helped me to whittle it down.

Music by "The Cranberries" used to be not just irritating but actually painful to listen to; with member recommended server and DDC improvements,

now its just bright.

Where I perceive digititus remaining  now in my system is mass women's choir and violins, in movie soundtracks like Avatar, Ready Player One. Its like the

fundamental frequencies are right but the harmonics are distorted/off pitch. I bought the vinyl versions of both, no like issues there.

Anyone else want to name music that creates this love/hate relationship for them?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

An endemic problem with digital playback - not the recording side of it! Certain recordings, with their particular mastering style, will provoke this - but it's not the fault of the recording.

The real question is,

Audio "Digititus" inducing systems?

Yes they exist. A common reason why I used to get up and leave a restaurant new to me in pre-covid days

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, hopkins said:

Can you share a specific track which you find particularly irritating ? I would be curious to listen to one.

I've had a similar experience at someone's house where some tracks sounded particularly harsh (in the highs as well), but were fine when I played them in my system. This did not happen with all tracks that day... The explanation from this person was that his system was more transparent... Could be ! I think on that day there was something wrong with his (I'd heard it sound better) - and it may not have had to do with the digital side of things. 

Here's a track that was quite irritating (not to my taste, but that's besides the point) - I doubt it had anything to do with the recording:

https://storage.googleapis.com/cloudplayer/samples/04 camélia jordana %26 baptiste trotignon - i'm a fool to want you.flac

For "Ready Player One" 96/24 flac download, the wordless choir passages

track 1/ The Oasis

track 18/ This is wrong

For Avatar 44/16 cd ripped flac version, wordless choir passage

track 6/ Climbing up to iknimaya

The Lord of the Rings 44/16 cd ripped flac version, wordless? choir

track 14/Lothlorien

available on Qobuz, same issue as local play

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

@Rexp Ouch! this one wasn't very good in the treble, perhaps badly remastered?

much preferred sampling the Serafin recording on Qobuz, better dynamic range, treble clarity, original performance date and CD release hard to determine but probably analog

https://www.discogs.com/Giuseppe-Verdi-Jon-Vickers-Leonie-Rysanek-Tito-Gobbi-Rome-Opera-Orchestra-And-Chorus-Tullio-Serafin-/release/8902956

Sampled the Levine performance (1978) its nice in CD rate, a little recessed in treble, has to be analog originally

https://www.discogs.com/Verdi-Plácido-Domingo-Renata-Scotto-Sherrill-Milnes-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-James-Levine-Ot/release/10771958

Did find this 1987 live performance with Mehta,  its good for treble and dynamics at CD rate, Qobuz has it mis-tagged for someone named Kaludi Kaludov

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-14014/

enjoying this  now, will give it  a play straight through

Regards,

Dave

Audio system