IGNORED

DAC Output Impedance/ Amplifier input Impedance

9 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi all

For the technically minded. My TAD DAC RCA output impedance is 330ohms. Should I set my amp input to 1k ohms or 10k ohms? 

Not sure if relevant but my RCA resistance is 47ohms. 

The output impedance is unusually high,(are you sure that 330ohms is correct ?) so I would actually prefer the amp input to be >10K if possible .

I would also try to keep the interconnect length as short as possible .

I am not sure what you mean by "my RCA resistance is 47ohms. "

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The output impedance is unusually high,(are you sure that 330ohms is correct ?) so I would actually prefer the amp input to be >10K if possible .

I would also try to keep the interconnect length as short as possible .

I am not sure what you mean by "my RCA resistance is 47ohms. "

330ohms is what TAD told me. 

Sorry RCA cable resistance. My cables are 0.8m in length. I’ll set my amp to 10k then. It’s been set to 1k for years. I didn’t even know there was a dip switch for it until now. 

From TAD - The output impedance is 330 ohm ± 5% about the RCA analog audio output of TAD-D1000.

Cheers 

21 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

330ohms is what TAD told me. 

Sorry RCA cable resistance. My cables are 0.8m in length. I’ll set my amp to 10k then. It’s been set to 1k for years. I didn’t even know there was a dip switch for it until now. 

From TAD - The output impedance is 330 ohm ± 5% about the RCA analog audio output of TAD-D1000.

Cheers 

You may notice a small increase in output volume compared with your original volume control setting. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

My TAD DAC RCA output impedance is 330ohms.

It looks like it is able to / was made for avoiding a pre-amp. Now you're not explicitly mentioning "pre-"amp, so you are probably operating in that situation indeed. 330Ohms into a poweramp is fine (but set the input impedance - if possibe - at least times higher).

The fact (?) that your "amp" can be set to 1K input impedance, makes me think it is a preamp after all.

Something seems not right - probably not a big deal.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

It looks like it is able to / was made for avoiding a pre-amp. Now you're not explicitly mentioning "pre-"amp, so you are probably operating in that situation indeed. 330Ohms into a poweramp is fine (but set the input impedance - if possibe - at least times higher).

The fact (?) that your "amp" can be set to 1K input impedance, makes me think it is a preamp after all.

Something seems not right - probably not a big deal.

Thanks guys. I’ve emailed TAD again asking them to clarify. 

They did send this today. 

It is EIA compliant.

The output level is 2Vrms ± 5% (input impedance 10kohm).