IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

I'll help.  Like the OP, I am also completely mystified by Clapton's repeated and enduring popularity.  Except for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I have never heard one of his solos and thought "Wow--I really need to hear that again..."  Yet I've had this reaction with a huge number of other guitarists, both famous, and not so much.

Of course, I am also mystified that Taylor Swift is our most popular vocalist.  Perhaps they have something in common?

11 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Having an eight year old daughter brings one around to the acceptance of Taylor Swift's charm. Otherwise, I don't know...

This is a great point, and I did not mean to diss T Swift (or Eric Clapton) as an entertainer.  I merely meant to assert that neither is a great virtuoso.

My 12 year old daughter and I had a terrific time at T's Speak Now show at  in Foxboro, Mass too many moons ago.  Of the 50,000 fans, I think 49,000 were girls/women, and maybe 48,000 of them sang every word at the top of their lungs.  It was the loudest full concert I've ever been to, for real.  Plus, Taylor's a marketing genius.

One of the messed up things about the music business is that pop stars are unbelievably rich while virtuoso talents such as Cecile McLorin Salvant and Stanley Jordan play small clubs for $30/ticket