IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

8 hours ago, katools said:

New here, but long time Roon lifetime licensee.  I find myself increasingly disinterested in Roon because it's buggy and lacking in some basic features.  Added to that, based on its history the developers/owners have no interest in addressing feature requests, often dismissing them and dismissing bugs as a problem on the user's side.

Things that have been missing forever:

• user ratings for tracks
  • decent playlist management & generation
  • track based genres
  • useable user ratings for albums differentiated from editorial ratings
  • ability to add artist biographies and album reviews where there are none
  • ability to annotate an album or track or both
  • per user library, interface & settings based on profiles
  • party mode where users cannot change settings, override queue or delete your music
  • proper library management workflows to deal with missing or incorrect content and unidentified files
  • undocumented/incomplete tag support
  • native input to enable playback of any audio stream through server / endpoint interface
  • proper handling of box sets
  • inability to browse classical music by period or instrumentation
  • full boolean logic to filter content
  • support for wavpack and DSD .ISO

Bugs:

• persistent memory leak -- denied
  •  random lags in browsing the library, particularly entering an album view -- often a restart sorts this
  • random lags in starting playback
  • unidentified album tracks shown out of order when identifying albums
  • returning to top of lists when browsing
  • persistent misallocation of albums to artist namesake even when existing albums have been corrected and incorrect namesake had no associated content
  • Roon sometimes applies new settings when adding music, exactly like it does if you change library import settings
  •  

Annoyances:

• inability to customise content by switching order in which elements of the UI are presented or to turn off content you've no interest in
  • Valence everywhere you look.  It's no longer about browsing your music in a magazine, it's like browsing an ad-sponsored website or spam littered inbox.
  • poorly formatted artist images 
  • many, many artists without images and no attempt by Roon to do better
  • No viable workflow to deal with unidentified albums
  • user experience impacted by Roon's cloud whether local or streamed content.

Technically Roon is a great product under the hood, but how it all comes together through the UI has become a bothersome mess I prefer to limit my exposure to, so rather than explore music I love, Roon has been relegated to a DJ I use to play background music when I'm doing other things.

In hindsight, if I were not a lifetime member I'd have abandoned it completely by now.

Nothing is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...