IGNORED

Could Wireless Be Better or Worse Than Wired Ethernet?

Hi Guys, I almost always use wired Ethernet because it just works every time. However, I've always wondered what the possible and/or realized issues are with using wireless, mainly, is RF an issue with sensitive audio components?

Question: Has anyone seen tests of audio equipment sensitivity to WiFi and any effects on the output of the audio devices?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yeah, bandwidth isn't an issue at all. 

I'm thinking that if people use an access point behind their audio systems, where all the cables are, this could be an issue. I know this is also a popular place to put the AP based on my experience with other people's systems. People don't have wired Ethernet to their audio rack, so they use an AP behind it and it extends to the main AP. This is kind of a worst case scenario, but it would be very interesting to see if it matters. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

53 minutes ago, plissken said:

Ok, how about 4K flat file? So we aren't dealing with any adaptive bit rate?

Not sure where the content would come from. In addition, it’s a little different because we put the audio signal through an amplifier, which by design amplifies the input. Any anomaly will be amplified. 

I don’t know enough about how video works and the internal parts of mass produced televisions, to know what we’d be testing. 

• 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am unaware as to how this would be possible?  Network communications have to be two way, how can a Network over WiFi function if it only has a receiving aspect?  Perhaps there is something which I do not understand here...

Anything is possible, but in this case there needs to be sending and acknowledgment that packets are received. Thus, two-way communication.