IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

Hi eveyone.

I got my 3-input Eva. It came with a couple of loose screws, which i re-installed in a breeze. I had to open it to proceed. The box is basically empty. Not even 10% of the inside is filled. It is a minimalistic design using quality part, from what i could see. Also, it came without the calibration certificate. Adrian should remedy to this, i take for granted. A suggestion for you, Adrian, use locking washers to prevent loose screws.

I use the clock to feed my audio-gd di20he and r7he. It has been on for 30 hours.

How good is it? I would say excellent. It a very good upgrade from my former Morion mv89a i got on ebay. I brings more details and better imaging to the party. Better bass too. And the burn-in is not close to being done. Also the sound is very smooth, more analog than i had ever heard in my room.

I also got the Afterdark mkii 4k 0.5m hdmi i2s cable, it took a bit of time but i now have adopted it, it is excellent too.

Cheers to you, Adrian.

Just made some more listening. With the best live album i have, what i hear is very convincing virtual audio reality. As i like to say, when a system sounds right, it is both analytical and musical at once. You decide what you focus on. This is exactly it but with such convincing depth, tridimensionality. The band is in the room. And the crowd too. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Standard said:

My AfterDark Giesemann EVA is now fully run in, providing accurate 10mhz input to my Audio-GD R7HE and DI-20HE, and it sounds super good. The transformation in sound reminds me of going from my Metrum Octave (SS) to AMR DP-777SE (Tube).

I owned the AMR DP-777SE for a long time before I upgraded to the Audio-GD R7HE, and while the latter blew the former out the water, the only thing that didn't was the expressiveness of the tube DAC, especially on timbres and nuances, as all tube DACs are known for.

But now, with the AfterDark 10mhz feeding my Audio-GD, I can finally goodbye to tubes forever.

You are right. 

It makes the sound spacious and smooth like tubes would do but with additonal resolution, not less. I can't fault the sound now. I have to restrain myself to avoid listening all day long. 

You can rationalize it by seeing a perfect audio signal being carried on a conveyor. If the conveyor moves at a constant speed, the wave will be perfect at the end of it. Otherwise, you get what can be conceived as randomized Doppler effects. Subtle frequency shifts all over the place, blurring the signal.