IGNORED

Help - Out of my depth - "best" 4 Seasons

Just getting into hirez. I'm very far from a classical geek, but I do enjoy a few specific things (and will likely learn to like more as I get into it).

One of my all time favorites is Vivaldi's Four Seasons (yes, I know, so blue collar). Looking at the various download sites, there seems to be too much to choose from on this particular topic, so I'm looking for some help.

Can those of you in the know point me to the two or three "best" hirez downloads for this? In this case I'm using "best" to mean a combination of acclaimed performers and well done recording/mastering/engineering.

Once you have helped me narrow it down to 2 or three, I'll listen to them and choose my own favorite.

thanks in advance for your help on this...

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

I like this one. Premium quality recording and performance:

Vivaldi - Le Quattro Stagioni - A. Beyer , Gli Incogniti (ZZ 2008 Studio Master 24bit 96kHz) ... at Linn Records

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I haven't even gotten to the four seasons part of the album yet, but already just flat out loving it.

I'm listening to it on my brand new NuForce Icon HDP which just arrived this morning. Even though all of the reviews say it needs a lot of burn-in time, I'm already loving it after just about 10 hours of play.

This new DAC along with the excellent recording have moved the sound out of my head and allowed me to imagine the musicians lined up around me as they should be.

I'm somewhat amused by one aspect of the clarity of the recording. Breath sounds. This might seem normal until you realize that this is a "strings only" recording. As near as I can tell there isn't a reed or a mouthpiece in the room, and yet one can very clearly hear the maestro sucking wind before each major "attack" on many of the tracks.

Five more tracks of this wonderful music...before I even get to the part I bought it for!

Manelus, you have good taste. Anything else I should listen to?

thanks again for the recommendation,

jp

EDIT: I finished listening to it and just thought I would add a few words in the way of a review of the whole album. OMG! I "grew up" on the well known "standard" renditions of 4 seasons (Itzak Perlman comes to mind). When I was a kid if you had asked me what was my favorite classical music, that's what I would have come up with. Never did I think I would hear something that would lead me to think of that as "one of those stodgy old fashioned renditions of Vivaldi". This performance just drips with artistry. Oddly, even though this is now my favorite 4 seasons...it is no longer my favorite Vivaldi. I absolutely love the beginning part of this album even more than the 4 seasons part of it.

While I'm new at this HiRes thing, and don't have a wealth of recordings to compare it to yet, of the dozen or so I've heard, this stands near the top. I would easily put it up with the Bravura recordings for quality of engineering.

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

Will be interested to hear other's comments. Not that I want validation or agreement, just that I have to wonder how much of my enjoyment of this comes from my newly acquired equipment and resurrection of this hobby vs. accurate remembrance of other Vivaldi I have heard over the years.

cheers,

jp

Hi Jeff

I was about to recommend the Amandine Beyer Gli Incogniti version from Linn Records when I saw the first responder had already done this.

I also think it's a great performance and sound. It sounds very "alive" and dynamic to my ears.

Also on the Linn site is an entirely different version by the very talented ensemble The Palladians. This one is played on period instruments and has a touch of humour to it. You might not like it, but it is very different. It's also not hi-rez.

I picked up another really good recommendation yesterday on another thread. Have a look at 2L. They're a Norwegian company who also produce very high quality recordings. You can get their 24/96 music from HDtracks or their 24/192 versions from Klicktrack. I've not looked through their catalogue yet, but that's all part of the enjoyment of finding new stuff.

Regards,

Neil

So I see a hard cut-off at 40 khz. Does that mean this is re-sampled from an 80 khz recording? 80 khz? Never heard of that as a standard for anything. Anyone care to edumacate me on this or point me to a link about reading HiRes FFT charts?

thanks,

jp

Well, it just finished 20 seconds ago (playing hookie from work, I am). I'm not exactly a golden ear, but the quality sounds quite good to me, and it is definitely a novel interpretation. Harpsichord? I can hear a very faint low-frequency rumbling during pauses, but I assume this is from a live recording. Compared to my very ordinary CD version, it is a significant improvement, worth the $24.

I don't think it is cut off. A 96kHz sampled track can only go up to 48kHz, and the signal seems to taper off quite naturally, so there shouldn't be any truncation artifacts. There is a horizontal noise band at about 40kHz, mostly in the right channel. Is that what you mean? I don't think it is of particular significance. My hearing cuts out at 15kHz and my dog slept through it, so it can't be that bad. It looks good, especially compared to what you see in my avatar (Coltrane's Lush Life, since removed from HDtracks).

If you're into novel interpretations have a look at the link on my message just before your very nice Fourier.

Les Saisons Amusantes.

Now that's what I call a novel interpretation.

It's very well played; but very different. Have a listen to each of the tracks; playing hookie I'm sure you have the time.

Very glad you like the Amandine Beyer version.

Neil.

Jeff, I’m glad you appreciate good music.

Please tell me what kind of music you prefer, Symphonic large orchestra, camera, …

Baroque, classical, romantic… Any preferred composer? so I can share my findings, it’s always subjective, but it’s fun.

Hi Res downloads is a gold mine for audiophiles and nowadays premium performances are beginning to be available in Hi Res.

Linn Records always delivers true Masters (once mended the Arts thing).

BIS has also a considerable catalogue of outstanding recordings, eClassical is the online shop directly supported by BIS.

Most of their masters are 24bit / 44.1kHz, they offer the original 24-44.1 master (prior to downsample to 16 bits for redbook layer). Newer ones are 24-88.2. They prefer that quality to the converted DSD to PCM. That is the response I got directly from BIS after my Email question to eClassical.

All in all they sound great, and you know we dogs have good ear, LOL :)

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

My preferences definitely run towards the smaller side, both for classical and other music. I like Bach, Mozart and Vivaldi, Chopin and some Liszt. Not so much Beethoven, even less Prokofiev or Mahler etc. Prefer light stuff with names like "divertimenti" or "Scherzi" or "Allegro" rather than "Largo" or "Grave". Don't know of any vocal classical music that strikes my fancy for some reason. Just don't like it. Mostly 18th Century and earlier, smallish number of stringed instruments or a soloist, playful and contrapuntal rather than dark and brooding.

Outside of classical, very eclectic. Has more to do with how deep the artistry is rather than the genre. I can even stand Country music if it is done well enough. Mostly Jazz (both old and new), and the very few female pop vocalists who can really nail the pitch without AutoTune -- Adelle, Sarah Bareilles, Christina Aguilera. (I am not a "golden ear" in the sense it is tossed around here, but I do suffer the misfortune of having perfect pitch -- if you ever want to see my head explode just tie me down and make me listen to 10 minutes of American Idol wannabe singers).

I'm going to start a couple of other threads for some specific types of music I would like to find, but in keeping with the theme of this one, does anybody have some favorite HiRes recordings of Pacabell's Canon, Handel's Water Music, or Eine kleine Nachtmusik they can recommend?

thanks again,

jp

This one is exactly the sort I was remembering and would probably have been a good choice for me before hearing the one mentioned above. A very "standard" and expected performance of this piece. I'm afraid I'm spoiled now by the more interesting (to me) interpretation by Amadine Beyer.

I would also note that for me, it is very rare for even a very gifted violinist to satisfy my need for exact pitch. Not that this one is way off -- most would never notice it -- but for me, some of it is a bit too far off (primavera part III for instance).

Thanks very much for the response. Please don't take my less than effervescent opinion of this one as any kind of a deterrent to future efforts to supply me and others with suggestions. :)

cheers,

jp

jp

Here's some suggestions based on your preferences and things I've bought:

Linn Records:

1) Mozart Symphonies 38-41 Scottish Chamber Orchestra 24/88.2

2) Mozart Symphonies 29-36 SCO 24/192

3) For "playful and contrapuntal" (and pre-18th century) I heartily recommend you listen to anything by The Palladians. It's not hi-res but it mostly still sounds good. The musicianship certainly fits the bill.

4) Susanna Yoko Henkel playing Tchaikovsy Concerto for violin 24/192

5) If you like Gypsy Jazz i.e. Django, listen to anything from the Le QuecumBar in London. There's 5 or 6 different ones to choose from, they're live, and they sound good.

6) If you like ambient electronic music within a neo-classical form and structure listen to the 2 "CD's" by Digitonal. It's 24/44.1 but again it sounds good.

I've also bought some downloads from Naimlabel; they're not hi-res but they do still sound good.

If you like acoustic or electro-acoustic guitar played to a superb level of musicianship and artistry, (along with double-bass, percussion, cello and occasional saxophone)then you cannot miss Antonio Forcione. He plays Latin, Spanish, Jazz, African, in fact all sorts of styles with the same drive and passion. Try "Tears of Joy" or "Touch Wood" as a starter.

My favourite country album is a CD rip that I did of Alison Krauss and Union Station Live. The standard of musicianship is really high but Jerry Douglas's Dobro playing is just something else.

And finally, another CD rip from an HDCD by Reference Recordings, Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man and Appalachian Spring Suite by Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra. Good sound and good music.

Regards,

Neil.

I just ripped the PCM tracks off the Alison Krauss + Union Station Live DVD yesterday - really excellent sound and you get the complete concert :) Lot of times, I'm not really interested in the video, but the PCM track may be even higher-quality than the tracks from the CD.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

The Mozar Symphonies is a great suggestion, you cant go wrong with these (Sir C. Mackerras performance). If you want a "lighter" "Warm up" may be you will want to beguin with this one:

Mozart - Colloredo Serenade K.203, Divertimento K.251 - Janiczek {Linn 2008 24bit 88.2kHz}