IGNORED

Diretta audio protocol

23 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

Hi Matt, i was not clear enough. I mean there is a lot of different architecture for computer audio. The best way to use the files in RAM is to have a Player/streamer directly linked to a DAC in USB/AES/SPDIF....in this case no need of Diretta protocol as you have a direct link between the player and the dac. The only connected point is with internet in order to bring the streaming from platforms like qobuz. 

If you have an architecture with a server (what Diretta calls HOST) and a renderer (what Diretta calls TARGET) meaning an ethernet connection in between, in this case whereever you have a server managing RAM reading you need to go through an ethernet distribution so Diretta (or other can still makes sense). 

When you mention that TAS (or PinkFaun) could be a good solution reading from RAM it is also because you have the server and renderer in the same platform.

Hope i was a bit more clear :-) 

Take care.

Ludovic 

How is this different than say JRiver's play from RAM feature?

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This is maybe where some disagree with you.
In this matter you and John Swenson are on different planets

I've never seen John hold a position that the data at-rest itself contains noise. I think he said everything he had to say with the 'paper' and that paper is simply a proponent to go 10GB, optical Ethernet, with an end point that can buffer entire tracks or even albums. I shot a video of my setup doing this 5-6 years ago. @Jabbr has been banging on this drum potentially even longer.

Anyone is welcome to disagree. I've no problem tearing apart unsubstantiated statements that go against the building blocks of data transfer.