IGNORED

Question about converting FLAC

robertkat

I purchased a couple albums from HDtracks, they are 96/24. I need to convert them so I can import them into itunes and stream them using my Sonos system. (I am hoping Sonos will start supporting 96/24). I downloaded MAX. I want to make sure I have the best conversion settings but there seems to be a lot options. I was thinking of converting them to AIFF (signed 16bit PCM) -> import them into Itunes -> convert them to apple lossless. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Rob

The problem I am having is that Sonos does not like how I an converting the files. I tried to go to aiff then have itunes convert it to apple lossless. When I play the file through sonos the music is slow. I am just looking for the steps that will allow me to convert my flac 24/96 files to best audio format that Sonos will accept and play correctly.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Robert

The iTunes converter to ALAC (currently) doesn't allow you to specify a change in sample rate. If you supply it a 96kHz source, the resulting file will be 96kHz, but AFAIK Sonos expects 16-bit/44.1kHz, hence the slowed sound from Sonos.

In Max preferences, set the AIFF encoder's sample size to 24-bit. There is no option for sample rate.

In iTunes preferences, set the AIFF encoder's sample size to 16-bit and sample rate to 44.1kHz.

Use Max to convert FLAC 24/96 to AIFF 24/96.

Use iTunes to convert AIFF 24/96 to AIFF 16/44.1.

If you want Apple Lossless for smaller file size, iTunes can now be used to convert the AIFF 16/44.1 to ALAC 16/44.1.

Alternatively try Sample Manager ($79) which features the highly regarded iZotope SRC. Free trial has restrictions of 15 days and batches limited to 10 files each. I've never used it, so can't comment further.

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/samplemanager/