IGNORED

Article: Review | DenaFrips Pontus DAC

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Unique review perspective.  I wonder if he also test drives a Ferrari in rush hour traffic.  I mean, rush hour may be the typical environment but if you test drive a Ferrari I would find some open country roads to let it out. 

I get that he normally uses AES/EBU and SPDIF, but in a public review shouldn't he test the limits for us?   Maybe it's just me.  I'm an upsampling fan and believe that PCM at 1.5Mhz and DSD at very high rates (i.e 1024) should have real benefits sq-wise, especially when upsampled properly.  I'd like to hear this feedback from someone putting a dac through it's paces.  YMMV. 

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

DAC's should not be tested with external upsampling in the same way sports cars should not be tested using racing tyres. 

I don't understand.  Are you feeding this dac native 705 or 768K PCM recordings?  How about 1.5Mhz PCM recordings?  Throw on some DSD1024 stuff while you are at it.   Good luck.

Denafrips went to some major bother to equip these dacs with those capabilities; why not test????  If one is spending competitive dollars on a telescope that can discern the different Cassini gaps in Saturn, why tell me about how well it does looking at the neighbor's window?  Buy a cheap one that easily does that and let me gaze at what this thing can really do.

The NOS button was put there for a reason.  Some of us would like to know how it sounds in NOS mode.......at PCM 1.5mhz.