IGNORED

Where should I try better ethernet cables first?

2 hours ago, smith123 said:

Hi,

It looks like this:

Fiber connection -> Ethernet cable -> Ubiquiti PoE adapter -> Ethernet cable -> Edgerouter X  -> Ethernet cable -> UniFi AC Lite 

ROON ROCK computer and Streamer connected to the Edgerouter X with ethernet.

Thinking of trying some Supra CAT 8 cables. Would I have to change all ethernet cables to notice any (possible) difference or could I start with with the streamer for example? I do not have any issues but are curious to see if I can notice any difference in my system.

Cheers.😀

I would suggest to try Meicord cables. Used Supra CAT8 prior to Meicord. In any case try to stay with UTP cables.

27 minutes ago, smith123 said:

A already had a Supra on the way. The Supra is a bit cheaper so I think I will go for more of those. You think that the Meicord is clearly better? 

I've been using both Supra and Meicord and still have both brands cables, in Supra case not only ethernet, but usb and xlr as well. If I compare Supra CAT8 (which is very good cable for its cost) with Meicord, the former sounds very nice and immediately attractive, while latter gives more analogue, neutral sound. Meicord is a small German producer of ethernet cables only. 

I tend to trust the position of Miska, HQPlayer developer, who insists that UTP type ethernet cables should be used in audio. (You may search forum for his detailed explanation why). Meicord is UTP cable. Along with everything said, Supra is a good and popular cable, and the choice of a particular cable is closely related to the personal preferences and features of the components used in audio set.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

True but the question is "where to try the cables first"

For your first time, I can't think of a better place than Haleakala at sunrise.

I noticed some time ago that being on one of the tropical paradise islands, I usually do not feel the desire to hear anything but the sounds of nature. But again, this is a personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RikkiPoo said:

I have 3 switches Etherregen, SOtM sNH 10G and English Electric 8Switch with two SOtM dCLB CAT7's  and an  iSO Cat6 and fiber between the Etherregen and 10G. 

The SOtM cables are amazing.

After all that I added a Network Acoustics ENO Ethernet Filter Ag and was really surprised that it further reduced the noise level and added life and naturalness.  They have a 30 day trial offer.  Your missing out if you don't give it a try.

I haven't tried their ethernet cables but I did buy a USB Ag cable that was much better than the Curious Cable.

I feel both products were excellent value for the price.

Could it be that when using clean UTP cables there is no need for additional filters, etc.?

4 hours ago, plissken said:

The OP asked how he 'cleans' his UTP cables. You responded by Clean means no foil/metal shield.  His UTP cabling doesn't have any of this to start with. 

If you read a little bit above, you will find out OP asked how to 'clean'  UTP cables after my previous post, in which I figuratively called UTP cables 'clean'. Now put it all together. 

10 hours ago, plissken said:

I don't know about you, but I would have told the OP that UTP means unshielded (no foil/metal) and that they are good to go. But again, that's just me not beating around the bush.

I am literally unable to understand the purpose of two or three of your recent comments addressed to me. I am going to let you imagine for yourself whichever last reply you want to read from my side and be satisfied with it. If you are able and willing to do this at last.