IGNORED

Active Desktop speakers pick

Such a hard category to work through. 

I have 4 amazing full range listening setups in the house ranging from Salk audio to DIYSG Fusions to Magnepan 3.7s. Yes I am spoilt in that sense. So when it comes to picking a replacement for my desktop rig, I am at a loss. 

Requirements:

1.  Active. I dont want another whole setup under the desk. 

2. Monitors. 

3. Size, cant be too big. Cant put a Kii3 here. 

4. High quality and not an eyesore. 

Here's my options as far as I can tell:

1. AE-1 - well received and good size and price (1K). 

2. Dynaudio active bookshelves. However they seem to focus on wireless/BT/streaming none of which I need. I have a nice RME dac on the desktop feeding them. 

3. ATC pro 20 ASL - good stuff but hard to find and studio grade finish. (5K)

4. Custom made by someone like Rick Craig of Selah audio or like. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

Updated list of options:

2. Dynaudio active bookshelves. However they seem to focus on wireless/BT/streaming none of which I need. I have a nice RME dac on the desktop feeding them. 

3. ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Mk2 - good stuff but hard to find and studio grade finish. Also dont go very low(5K).

5. Airpulse series - good look, not sure about amp setup/design. Sub out is a huge plus.

6. Focal shape shape 65 vs shape 50 - good proven monitors. Can dig deep. ($1500 to 1800)

7. Focal Solo 6be - good reviews, well received Be tweeter. (2700)

Please feel free to chime in thoughts/ideas.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for so many new suggestions guys!

It has been a pleasant surprise that my options are not limited.

3. ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Mk2 - good stuff but hard to find and studio grade finish. Also dont go very low(5K).

5. Airpulse series - good look, not sure about amp setup/design. Sub out is a huge plus.

6. Focal shape shape 65 vs shape 50 - good proven monitors. Can dig deep. ($1500 to 1800)

7. Focal Solo 6be - good reviews, well received Be tweeter. (2700)

8. KEF LS50 W - like the look/design and size. Dont like all tech packed in that box. Makes me wonder what part of the money actually is dedicated to the drivers and crossover. 

9. ELAC navis ARB-51: like the look, simplicity. Dont like the boxed look. 

10. Buckardt A500 - what a find: very tempted. Love the aesthetic/design/low end. Dont like price/wait or lack of track record. 

Currently debating between the ELAC and KEF and wondering if I should purchase both and audition them side by side and return the on I dont like? Anyone here have experience with both?

Thanks for your guidance and thoughts Tom. 

I started the post to generate a list of contenders to look/research/audition.

The Genelac might be a great option if I could get over their looks. I find them fugly to put it simply. I would be staring at them all day on my desk.

You would agree of all people that the aesthetic can enhance one's listening pleasure. 

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Came to understand the extra software package and the "stealth" DSP were not to his liking, too ... ymmv

I guess he expects a lot for $350! He didnt test a pair. Looks like measured a single and found the listening not loud!

Its like ordering a tailored suit, and upon delivery only measuring the pants for accuracy and being unhappy with the look without actually trying on the suit. I am all for objectivity but one can take it too far. 

I do agree with his assessment of the ARC. I don't like it in my setup. Sounds too shimmery at the top  while the bass is accurate though not as impressive as the little bloat at default settings. 

I did the firmware update BTW. 

Calibration with the ARC is not to my liking. I bypassed it.

I have Anthem room correction in one of my setups as well as DIRAC live in another.... very different price points and very different experience. 

Shawn, 

Thats the same setup as mine. 

The RME turns out pushes signal out to both balanced and SE line outs. U can thrown in a sub there if you are so inclined. 

I had to turn down the gain on the mtms down to zero. This got rid of the previously reported hum. 

Let me know what PEQ settings you settle on. 

I am still dialing them in