IGNORED

Best FLAC converter software

cappo

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I remember that different cards indeed 'sounded' slightly differently in such experiments. Sony products were believed to be "good". However, the difference was not at all dramatic and the inconveniences of running the computer from the sd card were more important.

I'm doing that all the time with HQPlayer OS, but I don't find it any more inconvenient than any other method. Dumping the OS image on card and booting it up. Possibly restoring configuration backup and that's it.

But in my case content is on SMB network share or from UPnP or Roon stream, not local.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 minutes ago, plissken said:

I think you meant to ask what is your favorite WAV to FLAC compressor. There is no conversion going on.

You should be able to take a WAV, generate an MD5 hash, FLAC compress/decompress and get the same MD5 hash.

I shot a video and posted it here years ago bursting this particular myth.

FLAC of course comes with the original "flac" command line tool that converts between FLAC and WAV. That's the official one.

What I wanted and none of the existing tools nicely provided was possibility to take for example 352.8/24 DXD WAV and create for example 120/20 FLAC out of it. One of the many reasons to create my own tool.

5 hours ago, bogi said:

I thought that any bit depth (for example 22) is not allowed, because it cannot be encoded in those 3 bits. When you say "any word length from 8 up to it's maximum of 24" do you mean really any integer in the range 8 - 24 or do you mean 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 ? If any, how that fits into FLAC format?

When necessary, samples are zero-padded to word length supported by FLAC. FLAC is clever enough to take this zero padding into account on compression. So you can encode something like 15, 17 or 19 bit file as well.

17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Not from the major Recording companies, HDTracks, Linn Records etc. ,Blue Coast (DSD mainly) Soundkeeper (.aiff)

Nether Cookie Marenco from Blue Coast,  or Barry Diament (SoundKeeper) like .flac SQ either and avoid it.

For most recordings, the original format is some DAW's proprietary multitrack file format. And then most DAWs can render output directly to FLAC, WAV, MP3, etc.

ProTools is probably market leader at the moment.

19 minutes ago, sandyk said:

BTW, there are quite a few recordings from the majors that appeared to have started life as 24/44.1

Yes, but that is not RedBook... 96k 24-bit or 32-bit is pretty typical too.

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I didn't say they can't , just that I don't believe that the Majors would not normally do that for general consumption. Or do they ? 

Why wouldn't they if the final delivery is FLAC? Because they need to deliver metadata as well for downloads. Easier that way. And of course they deliver some MP3 and AAC as well. DSD is usually delivered as DSF files for the metadata reasons as well (HQPlayer also supports ID3v2 tags in DSDIFF but that is not commonly supported either).

FLAC also supports embedding MD5 checksum for the data, so you can make sure nothing changes on the way.

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That was my question  .Do the Majors (themselves) send .flac files out to consumers, or is this done by the distributor who included Artwork as HDTracks used to (at least) do ?

IOW, has there been another conversion ?

HDtracks is quite messy and I'm trying to avoid it, I'm mostly using highresaudio.com. I can download without some stupid downloader app.

It is not about just artwork, but all the metadata embedded in the file.